Are we "hardcore?"

Options
Mouse_Potato
Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
Hello, my fellow lifting ladies. I have a newbie question for all of you.

At the end of stage 1, I had a guy strike up a conversation with me at the gym. He asked me why I was training so hard and said he thought maybe I was an "elite athlete" preparing for my game. "Oh, nice." I thought. "He's hitting on me."

About 3-4 weeks ago I had a different guy approach me and ask if I was in training for a bodybuilding competition. At 27% body fat? Uh-huh. That must be the standard line to pick up chicks in the weight room.

So, last week a coworker saw me at the gym. He has no need for an opening line. He can strike up a conversation with me any time he likes. He has never expressed any interest in me as anything but a technical resource. Anyway, when I saw him back at the office he shook his head in amazement and said "you're really hardcore!"

Now, it got me thinking. He does say in the book that these workouts are harder than ones he would have designed for men, but I always just brushed that off. Now I've started noticing: none of the other women in the gym work like I do. Not even the lifters. Very few of the men push themselves as hard. When I lift, I get red-faced, sweat buckets and grunt like a pig (did I really think guys were hitting on me?). I almost never see anyone else push him or herself that hard. (Maybe that one weird guy who sounds like he's in labor, but that's about it).

I am completely new to lifting, so I have no idea how this program compares to any of the others out there, but now I'm wondering. I do get some funny looks when I tell people I'm doing a beginner's program!

Replies

• JKDLady
    JKDLady Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I had a guy come up to me last Friday and comment. I've been going to this gym and lifting for nearly 10 years, so I know the guy in passing. He was so impressed with my workout that he asked about it. So, I showed him the book and talked a little about what I was doing. He said he couldn't believe how hard I was working.

It was a really nice feeling that someone noticed and said something positive!
  • FourIsCompany
    FourIsCompany Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, so don't have the gym people asking about it, but yesterday, my water aerobics instructor asked me how much I was lifting, "10 lb dumbbells"? she inquired... When I told her, her jaw dropped and her eyes bulged! :laugh: I love it!

I don't think it's really "hard core". I would reserve that term for professional body builders, male or female, but it's a lot different than women have traditionally trained. It's a whole new phase of women coming into our own and using the pink weights to hold down paper. I was around in the 60s when women were claiming their place in the modern world. Lifting heavy is just another step toward reaching our full potential, IMO.
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Thanks for your replies, ladies. It *is* nice to be noticed and complimented on how hard I work. I think I was largely curious because a few weeks ago my boyfriend said he thinks I'm overtraining and then I got these other comments. I don't suppose it matters what we label it. I love the comments and I love the results!
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I belong to a women's only gym and noticed the other day an acquaintance of mine watching me do the front squat push press, she approached me after and said how impressed she was with my workout and wanted to know what event I was training for. I told her I was doing it for fun:) ...This program is awesome, ignore your boyfriend!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    Yup, I've had a few people ask me what I'm training for, lol
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I lift at home, so don't have the gym people asking about it, but yesterday, my water aerobics instructor asked me how much I was lifting, "10 lb dumbbells"? she inquired... When I told her, her jaw dropped and her eyes bulged! :laugh: I love it!

I don't think it's really "hard core". I would reserve that term for professional body builders, male or female, but it's a lot different than women have traditionally trained. It's a whole new phase of women coming into our own and using the pink weights to hold down paper. I was around in the 60s when women were claiming their place in the modern world. Lifting heavy is just another step toward reaching our full potential, IMO.

I definitely agree with the above. I'd also add that the majority of gym users - men and women - walk into the gym everyday without a plan and without a record. Using a workout program that was designed by a fitness professional like NROL series gets rid of the problem of the willy nilly workout! Also, keeping a record makes people train harder because they don't guess at what weight they need to use or spend a lot of time switching plates or spend too long at the same weight workout after workout. So, by actually being organized and prepared for a gym session, you can be "hardcore!" :laugh: