Drop Sets

Options
AZChristy
AZChristy Posts: 30 Member
I've been working out with a couple of friends who kind of rush through our workouts and I have simplified my workouts and stopped doing drop sets and I've notice my progress has slowed. Do drop sets make that big of a difference to anyone else or am I just reading to much into a plateau?

Replies

• ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    it would appear that maybe your overall volume decrease is making you stall.

find partners who aren't in a hurry.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    just me but i hate drop sets. cant stand the burn.
  • lifting4fun
    Options
    Hi,
    I will use drop sets with compound movements AFTER I have completed my initial warm-up/pump then the following heavy 3-4 sets, ( last two to failure ) 30-45 second rest between sets, rep range of 10 ( intensity of rep 10 being failure ) add 10# and go for failure x 2 to challenge the muscles , create micro tears and engage/recruit the type 2 cells so I can create a situation where my muscles have to grow.After two different compound movements of 3-4 sets I follow with two to three isolation movements of 3-4 sets. If you really want to push your limits try suicide sets, this will let you truly see your limits and will help you to work through what you used to think of as " failure " on your regular routine., Regards, James
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Drop sets are awesome when you start (sets) heavy enough in the first place. I luv 'em.

Eta: I do them occasionally.
  • IroncladLuke
    IroncladLuke Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am no expert by any means whatsoever, still a noob myself but from what I have read drop sets are useful as a replacement for a spotter, so maybe if your friends are in a rush you could stay heavy and get some ask for a spot?
  • james6998
    james6998 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    I dont do drop sets all the time rather use it for shocking muscles. Usually work my way up to the highest weight and then as a finisher, drop set after my 4th heavy set. It does end up giving me about 7-8 sets in total but it works. Good ole time under tension.