Keeping pace or finishing interval?

lovekohl
lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
I did w4d1 last night and found it difficult to finish the 2nd 5 minute run at the same pace I had been using for the other three runs. I'm running on a treadmill so I know exactly how fast I'm running and can't really slack on the pace unless I physically turn the speed down.

My question is, do you think its more important to keep up a consistent pace for all of the running intervals or is it better to drop your pace a bit if needed to finish each interval without walking?

Replies

• joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Hi Kohl...

I'm no expert, but I would slow down and keep running for the run intervals...plenty of time to worry about pace once program is finished :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Slow down. You might want to slow down the whole run, but definitely slow down the interval.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    I agree with the others.

As you start running longer intervals your pace will slow down too, or at least mine did (I ran outdoors), so that's normal.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Yup. Slow down. You are building endurance. as you get to running longer and longer distances, you discover just how important pace is. and that means keeping an even steady pace, not fast. :-)
  • lovekohl
    lovekohl Posts: 111 Member
    Thanks everyone! I was able to complete all three running intervals in W5D1 without issue by slowing down to a more comfortable pace.
  • 230137isntmyweight
    230137isntmyweight Posts: 256 Member
    Great job!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Thanks everyone! I was able to complete all three running intervals in W5D1 without issue by slowing down to a more comfortable pace.

Yay! For the record, after finishing C25k, I posted a running question to the Happy Feet runners board and got the same advice. Slowing down is like the panacea for running issues.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member

That's great! Good work! :-)
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member

Way to go! Slowing down is the key to making it through any of the days. You're doing great!