NROLFW calorie burn question

Hi,

I just started doing EM2WL and I am doing NROLFW. I currently do 3 sets of each exercise, and I'm trying to up my weights/reps with each session. HOWEVER, I am not burning many calories! Only around 200 each time, maybe 250 with warm up/cool down. (according to my HRM) I do weights 3x a week and sprinting twice. Is this low calorie burn anything to worry about? I do try to give it my all in each workout. Would there be a problem doing some cardio after my weights session to up the calorie burn?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Replies

• GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    You will find that the "after burn" you get from lifting that you can only see with a bfm will increase that cal burn for 48hrs....I think. A few stages down you will do hiit after lifting. If you look at the nrolfw group here you will see lots of woman run as a warm up before. I think afterwards is supposed to be better so your muscles aren't too tired to manage good lifts.
  • koneill12
    koneill12 Posts: 6 Member
    Thanks for the input, GGGM. What I am taking from this is that my cal burn is OK for now, though if I want to run before or after, that's OK, too.

K
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    Just a warm up before lifting....then some cardio if you want! As GGGM mentioned...you will get teh benefit of the afterburn when you lift....plus a HRM isn't all that accurate while lifting! Though, 250 sounds about right for a 45-60 minute session!
  • koneill12
    Thanks, conniedj, a little reassurance is what I was looking for!

K
  • A 40-60 minute session of lifting? I have a time to make sure I get the right amount of rest between reps and sets but my lifting sessions are lasting 25 minutes (in stage 1). Am I doing something wrong?
  • koneill12
    Mine are around a half hour, too. There aren't that many exercises in NROLFW stage 1.

Any wisdom out there re: workout duration?
  • conniedj
    conniedj Posts: 470 Member
    20-30 minutes is fine for first starting a program, as you are focused on a limited amount of sets, reps and exercises. No worries--you aren't doing anything wrong! And if you are doing at a decent intensity you can have a decent burn!

Getting used to being on "that" side of the gym :wink: and focusing on form is where it's at for you right now!

How are your workouts feeling so far??? ( Perky and Koneill)
  • koneill12
    For me, great! I am actually no stranger to lifting, but now I am doing it in conjunction with eating more and being patient about body comp changes. I am ready for the long, slow road.

Thanks -- K
  • It's good. I've been lifting for years but with a circuit training focus. I've also done a lot of calorie restriction. I am eating more which right now is the tough part. Do the workouts in NROLFW get longer in later stages?
  • GoGoGadgetMum
    GoGoGadgetMum Posts: 292 Member
    Yes that do get longer, I stopped at about stage 4. I was doing it at home and some alterations just weren't the same and I had to get my husband to help with the bar for squats. I can squat heavy but can't chuck it on my shoulders. I think 3 or 4 workout out to be over an hr with the hiit portion added in.