Replies

• aliciap412
    aliciap412 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    tumblr_inline_mpvo60lQTU1qz4rgp.gif
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Now it's up to us to prove that it is not a fad! By living the lifestyle for the rest of our lives and avoiding the new "Paleo" processed foods that keep cropping up. :noway:
  • MikeFlyMike
    MikeFlyMike Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    ^ this.

One of the main reasons the "establishment" doesn't like paleo. There isn't a "product" to go buy. There isn't a company you pay money to - or meetings you have to pay and attend.

(yes I know there are people that market product as paleo) BUT, you just need to eat real food. Maybe read a couple books and you are good.

Monsanto alone stands to lose the most revenue from people eating paleo.
    (I once described my diet as simply the "anti Monsanto diet"- you can eat anything you want, so long as Monsanto derived NO revenue anywhere along the chain).
  • KarenisPaleo
    KarenisPaleo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Nice post, thanks!

Especially like the cupcake part ;))
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    Monsanto alone stands to lose the most revenue from people eating paleo.
    (I once described my diet as simply the "anti Monsanto diet"- you can eat anything you want, so long as Monsanto derived NO revenue anywhere along the chain).
    [/quote]
    BRILLIANT!!!!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    One of the main reasons the "establishment" doesn't like paleo. There isn't a "product" to go buy. There isn't a company you pay money to - or meetings you have to pay and attend.
    I have to disagree. I think there is actually a lot of products that make huge profit to companies that paleo people buy. I am still just investing into the nonperishables , but I already spend a lot of money on them. Coconut milk, coconut water, coconut oil, creamed coconut, nonsweetened shredded coconut, coconut flakes and I am still hunting coconut amnios. Plus coconut flour if you do any baking.

Not to mention other healthy oils like macademia nut oil, avocado oil, olive oil etc . A 1 L bottle of avocado oil at costco is $10 , while you can buy 3 gallons of canola oil from that price at the same store. So yes who ever producing the avocado oil makes good money on it for sure. Macademia oil is even more expensive , i paid $5 for a small bottle maybe only one cup oil in it. since it is a fat based diet, people consume a huge amount of healthy fat. I use at least 2-3 can of coconut milk a week myself.

Plus there are the nuts , they are sooo expensive . I just got a bag of pinenuts at Costco for p making pesto sauce and it was $25 for the bag. Although paleo adults may not eat much baked goods, but they are definitely really popular with kids and it involves almond flour most of the time, and dried fruits etc. I buy lots of dried fruit now, and I never used to buy any. Plus if some company would start to make the actual baked gods , I am sure there would be market for it. Paleo kids have birthday too...

Right now lots of things that paleo people making from scratch at home, because it is not available at the store.
    However it is time consuming and many people would welcome those items in the store.For example mayonnaise from healthy oil, salad dressing from healthy fat and no sugar, paleo ketchup , pesto sauce and other condiments and sauces. Beef jerky without any sugar and nasty ingredients. I am sure there is much more stuff, but this pop into my mind right away.

I think it is just matter of demand. Right now the paleo community is small and usually small companies who produce for this niche market. If the majority of the population would be paleo , big companies would produce those items and every grocery store would carry them and you do not have to order them online and pay a fortune for shipping.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit the amount of canola-based mayo I've eaten because I find it such a hassle to make my own. Finally got around to making a batch yesterday. It'll be gone all too soon.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options
    I have to disagree. I think there is actually a lot of products that make huge profit to companies that paleo people buy. I am still just investing into the nonperishables , but I already spend a lot of money on them. Coconut milk, coconut water, coconut oil, creamed coconut, nonsweetened shredded coconut, coconut flakes and I am still hunting coconut amnios. Plus coconut flour if you do any baking.

Not to mention other healthy oils like macademia nut oil, avocado oil, olive oil etc . A 1 L bottle of avocado oil at costco is $10 , while you can buy 3 gallons of canola oil from that price at the same store. So yes who ever producing the avocado oil makes good money on it for sure. Macademia oil is even more expensive , i paid $5 for a small bottle maybe only one cup oil in it. since it is a fat based diet, people consume a huge amount of healthy fat. I use at least 2-3 can of coconut milk a week myself.

Plus there are the nuts , they are sooo expensive . I just got a bag of pinenuts at Costco for p making pesto sauce and it was $25 for the bag. Although paleo adults may not eat much baked goods, but they are definitely really popular with kids and it involves almond flour most of the time, and dried fruits etc. I buy lots of dried fruit now, and I never used to buy any. Plus if some company would start to make the actual baked gods , I am sure there would be market for it. Paleo kids have birthday too...

Right now lots of things that paleo people making from scratch at home, because it is not available at the store.
    However it is time consuming and many people would welcome those items in the store.For example mayonnaise from healthy oil, salad dressing from healthy fat and no sugar, paleo ketchup , pesto sauce and other condiments and sauces. Beef jerky without any sugar and nasty ingredients. I am sure there is much more stuff, but this pop into my mind right away.

I think it is just matter of demand. Right now the paleo community is small and usually small companies who produce for this niche market. If the majority of the population would be paleo , big companies would produce those items and every grocery store would carry them and you do not have to order them online and pay a fortune for shipping.
    there is a great company in Toronto that sells coconut aminos and all the other stuff you mentioned.
    It's raw food based,but the products are incredible.
    $100 and it's free delivery.
    upayanaturals.com
    I buy raw nuts,every coconut product available (they even do the amazing coconut meat wraps).
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options

there is a great company in Toronto that sells coconut aminos and all the other stuff you mentioned.
    upayanaturals.com
    I buy raw nuts,every coconut product available (they even do the amazing coconut meat wraps).
    thanks for the tip! OMG coconut wraps ?!?!? I never heard of such a thing before. i checked the ingredients and it is only organic coconut meat and water, who awesome is that! i may just find the way to convert my husband to paleo.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I hate to admit the amount of canola-based mayo I've eaten because I find it such a hassle to make my own. Finally got around to making a batch yesterday. It'll be gone all too soon.

It's a hassle? I thought it would be too at first, but it seems pretty quick and easy to me now (even though my new blender is a piece of you know what). Make another batch, don't hesitate. Try baconnaise too. My fave.

I don't agree that most of us are awaiting more "Paleo" processed food products. Yes we buy oils and nuts and whatever, but I do not need to see Paleo processed foods in the store. I'd love to have more Paleo single ingredient foods of course (but I live in the boonies) such as coconut oil, macadamia oil, etc. Processed foods are processed foods. One can never be sure that the ingredients and nutrient data are always accurate on processed foods or that conditions in the factory or origin of ingredients fit Paleo values. Ever.

I have already seen some foods stamped Paleo and they were NOT. I was quite pissed. If anything takes away from the credibility of our lifestyle, it's processed "Paleo" foods.

PS: Upaya Naturals does not have free shipping to the US or the north. They are also "vegan" but it is true that it's almost impossible to find coconut aminos and a few other things eslewhere. (I haven't ordered from Upaya yet, but from another similar vegan store in Toronto.) They also have no macadamias. That's been my deal breaker for anywhere that sells nuts lately.
  • justaspoonfulofsugar
    Options

upayanaturals.com
    thanks for the tip! OMG coconut wraps ?!?!? I never heard of such a thing before. i checked the ingredients and it is only organic coconut meat and water, who awesome is that! i may just find the way to convert my husband to paleo.
    Hope they deliver to you..it's a great company and the wraps rock!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Gotta love how they used "gluten-free" instead of "gluten free" to skew the chart...

Love the responses to the vegetarian who was like "I wonder how people feel eating meat all the time..."
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options

It's a hassle? I thought it would be too at first, but it seems pretty quick and easy to me now (even though my new blender is a piece of you know what). Make another batch, don't hesitate. Try baconnaise too. My fave.

I don't agree that most of us are awaiting more "Paleo" processed food products. Yes we buy oils and nuts and whatever, but I do not need to see Paleo processed foods in the store. I'd love to have more Paleo single ingredient foods of course (but I live in the boonies) such as coconut oil, macadamia oil, etc. Processed foods are processed foods. One can never be sure that the ingredients and nutrient data are always accurate on processed foods or that conditions in the factory or origin of ingredients fit Paleo values. Ever.

I have already seen some foods stamped Paleo and they were NOT. I was quite pissed. If anything takes away from the credibility of our lifestyle, it's processed "Paleo" foods.

PS: Upaya Naturals does not have free shipping to the US or the north. They are also "vegan" but it is true that it's almost impossible to find coconut aminos and a few other things eslewhere. (I haven't ordered from Upaya yet, but from another similar vegan store in Toronto.) They also have no macadamias. That's been my deal breaker for anywhere that sells nuts lately.

The hassle is in the egg having to be room temperature for the recipe to work. Typical scenario: I get out egg and lemon, set aside to bring to room temp. Crisis or interruption. Leave house for scheduled activity. Get home late. Throw away egg that has been sitting out for hours.

At 50¢ per egg, and only able to get a dozen a week from our pastured poultry farmer (limited supply), it's frustrating.

I was taught that eggs that are never refrigerated are safe left at room temperature for days, but once they have been refrigerated they aren't safe after more than a couple of hours.
  • lighteningjeanne855
    lighteningjeanne855 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Go to
    dietdoctor.com
    to see the reports that Sweden's national health organization said about
    Low Carb/ High fat diets this week. He posted two articles.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Go to
    dietdoctor.com
    to see the reports that Sweden's national health organization said about
    Low Carb/ High fat diets this week. He posted two articles.

A little off topic, but I noticed he also has a post about Grape-Ola oil. It caught my eye, because I've seen that before (and it's nice to know he agrees). It's really bizarre, because it advertises its higher PUFAs and Omega-6 like it's a good thing. It's like, "look! we have 400% more PUFAs and Omega-6 than olive oil." I'm just like :noway: :sick: