Count the Veggie Juice or Don't count the Veggie Juice

Options
This may sound like an insanely stupid question, but......In an effort to get more veggies or rather the awesome nutrients from veggies in my day, I got a juicer. It has helped me get out of this funk I have been in.....sounds nuts right? Well juicing has been helping me with this head cold/allergy thing I have been getting and surprisingly I have some boost in energy I did not have before. I used to take a drink supplement that did sorta the same thing. By It Works, thinking of adding that too. Anyway, I wonder....all the juice I am drinking (2 times a day) do I log all this juice in my calories to take from my TDEE? It sounds silly right....and may be I am not thinking straight.. It is about 200-400 cals in juice daily. I find that I am still a bit hungry in the evening and end up 200+ cals over in TDEE each day now. Thoughts?

Veggies are - (Kale, Spinach, Parsley, lemon, lime, apple, orange, ginger, beet root, asparagus, brussel sprouts, pineapple, grapefruit)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All calories count and should be logged.

And that's carbs, mostly.

Really be careful on the amount of calories though, I've never seen any good measurements on them.

Except take the weight of the stuff that goes in, and get the calorie counts from that.
    Then take the weight of the pulp since not all the liquid came out, subtract.
    There's your calorie count.

It begs to do a prepared manner, specific drinks with exact same weight of what goes in, so you can repeat.

Or do it with several versions, and see if the calorie count always seems to be in the same narrow range, then just go by weight of general ingredients.
  • sassiebritches
    sassiebritches Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    The recipe site has the calorie and nutrient breakdown though....thoughts? http://juicerecipes.com/recipes/

Really be careful on the amount of calories though, I've never seen any good measurements on them.

Except take the weight of the stuff that goes in, and get the calorie counts from that.

It begs to do a prepared manner, specific drinks with exact same weight of what goes in, so you can repeat.

Or do it with several versions, and see if the calorie count always seems to be in the same narrow range, then just go by weight of general ingredients.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    Understanding obviously that no 2 fruits/veggies are the same of course. Ok, I will be sure to allow for this is cals.
    The recipe site has the calorie and nutrient breakdown though....thoughts? http://juicerecipes.com/recipes/

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    That is one I have not seen, cool.

As I'm so bad at judging things like size, I'd still spot check a couple of favorite recipes to confirm they add up right.

To get the weight of the macros, you must have had the weight of the food, not sure why they didn't just leave that. Probably to keep it simple, and it may not vary much.

Except the fruit based drinks, with so much sugar, could really add up. Vegetables I'll agree don't add up enough, probably wouldn't matter.
  • sassiebritches
    Options
    The juice I like - the Dr. Oz has only apples, lemon and lime as a fruit and charts at 207 cals a serving. I am feeling safe about that I think :) We shall see how it goes.
    That is one I have not seen, cool.

As I'm so bad at judging things like size, I'd still spot check a couple of favorite recipes to confirm they add up right.

To get the weight of the macros, you must have had the weight of the food, not sure why they didn't just leave that. Probably to keep it simple, and it may not vary much.

Except the fruit based drinks, with so much sugar, could really add up. Vegetables I'll agree don't add up enough, probably wouldn't matter.
  • kathleenjoyful
    kathleenjoyful Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    That juice recipe website is great, thanks!