I give up on my app

Options
CherylP67
CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
I use get running.

I loved it for the first 6 weeks.

Week 7, it turned off randomly. The first time, I thought I did it. The second time, I emailed the developer and they said they were working on fixing it. He suggested shutting my phone down completely before starting the app. I did that for W7D3 and it didn't shut off.

I did W8D1 the other night, I kept the app open on my screen and kept watching it to make sure it didn't turn off. It didn't turn off, and although my run looked good on paper, I was distracted by watching the clock for the 28 minutes. Today I did W8D2, and I only watched until about 3 minutes in and the app was still working. I put my phone up and after 10 minutes decided to see if it was still in, IT TURNED OFF.

So frustrating. I also use mapmyrun, so I kept running until I was at 1.7 miles, them I turned around and kept running until I was at the point where my warm up ended in the beginning and walked the rest of the way home.. I ended up running for at least 30 minutes, I think actually 31. My total time was 41 minutes and I know the 10 minutes of walking was correct.

I HATE that this is happening to my App at the end. I'm not sure the percentage of people who start and make it to the end, but it's anticlimactic to be at the end and have so many issues.

I believe I'm going to do my own timing for the rest of week 8 and week 9, then mark off the days on the app so I can say I finished.

I ran 5k for the first time W8D1!

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your achievement!

I use Get Running but am looking for another one. If I change songs it stops, if I switch apps it stops. Very frustrating!
  • CherylP67
    Options
    Congrats on your achievement!

I use Get Running but am looking for another one. If I change songs it stops, if I switch apps it stops. Very frustrating!
    In glad it's not just me. I use it on my iPhone. I wonder if its something with another app that's running.

It is frustrating to get so close to the end and have issues.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    When I do my runs/hikes/rides with a tracking app, I actually go through ALL the apps that are currently running on my phone and turn them off.

Then I do my activity, it leaves me with 3 apps running total, my 2 tracking apps (I always double up) and the Music app.
    I have had a few crash outs, but that's been from the Zombies! Run app, not Ease into 5km or Walk Tracker Pro. The crash outs have happened when I have had to switch between apps.
    I've also recently started putting my phone into Do Not Disturb mode when out.

Perhaps close out all your other apps before you start your run.
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    I use RunDouble and never ever had 1 teensy bit of problem with it...I will be getting more serious after C25K, so this weekend I purchased a GPS running watch for under 100.00...It isnt fancy, but I have used it twice with rundouble and really pleased that I can quickly glance down at my wrist and see pace, time, and distance traveled...i absolutely love it.

Once on a training plan, I lan to keep the phone at home and take an ipod shuffle along with the watch.
  • CherylP67
    Options
    I'll try to shut everything down and see if that helps. I'm hopeful but not too much. The app developer told me that they're working to fix the bug.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you do the same program as me, I think week 8 is 28 minute runs and week 9 is 30? Or something like that? You can program Endomondo to do intervals. So you can put in the warm up walk, half-way point and cool down walk. It's not that accurate for distance on trails/in the summer/when it feels like it, but it's great at guiding you through a timed run.
  • CherylP67
    Options
    If you do the same program as me, I think week 8 is 28 minute runs and week 9 is 30? Or something like that? You can program Endomondo to do intervals. So you can put in the warm up walk, half-way point and cool down walk. It's not that accurate for distance on trails/in the summer/when it feels like it, but it's great at guiding you through a timed run.

I don't use Endomondo, but that was my plan, to walk 5, run 28, walk 5, then go in and mark the day complete. I'm planning on running same route I ran yesterday, so I have an idea of where I'll turn around and head back home.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I started using Endomondo after C25k because you can program intervals and it's free.
  • CherylP67
    Options
    I started using Endomondo after C25k because you can program intervals and it's free.

I downloaded it onto my phone today.

My app shut down today, although I closed everything else and turned phone off and on before run. I just kept track if the time myself and marked the run complete.

My next run will be W9D1, I can't believe I've made it this far!
  • likitisplit
    Options

My app shut down today, although I closed everything else and turned phone off and on before run. I just kept track if the time myself and marked the run complete.

Congratulations! I spent all of week 9 worrying about a broken leg. What are your plans after C25k?
  • CherylP67
    Options

Congratulations! I spent all of week 9 worrying about a broken leg. What are your plans after C25k?

After I finish up c25k, I think I will run 5k 3 times a week until my 5k on October 22. My goal is to run entire 5k with no walking. After that I'm going to do a 10 k program, I'm not sure which though, I read the informative thread in the stickies, I'm going to research and decide.