the delicate question of chafing...

Options
Mbuhler
Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
Hello ladies and gents :)
Tri season for me was over in early September - the weather just changes too quickly after that for there to be any venues for outdoor tri's to continue. This year I edged into the sprint distances and very much enjoyed myself. I'm a better than average swimmer, average biker and poor runner. I decided to work in my running this fall and ended my tri season by signing up for a half marathon at the end of October. And things are going well - I'm not fast but I did 14k this past weekend which is a first for me. Actually anything past 5k was a first for me.
Anyways... with these longer runs, I had my first encounter with chafing. I did not encounter anything uncomfortable during my run but had a surprise when I came home and took my top off for my shower - ouch.
So.... any suggestions? I'm not sure what to do to prevent this from happening again since I'm getting into longer workouts that I have never done before.

My workout clothes are not new, I purposely get my sports bras a size tighter so nothing will move. I've never had this problem when doing tri's. Any ideas would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Replies

• PollyWolly98
    Options
    I have had that trouble with a few of my tops - doesn't bother me on shorter runs, but sometimes I come home and hurt either under my arms or where the bottom of the sports bra is right across my front middle. I have figured out that I have a few tops that never hurt me and only stick with those for the longer runs and I also put on bodyglide sometimes before a longer run. It seems to be trial and error for me. I hope you can figure out a solution! I am doing my first half in January. Good luck!
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    First and foremost, make sure your clothes fit well and fit properly.

But to your question, there are lots of products out there for this very purpose... body glide is probably the most common, but most any running/biking/tri shop should have something.
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I never thought of the body glide - I always associate it with my wetsuit, LOL! On closer inspection, the sports bra I was wearing has seamed cups and I think my skin got pinched. I have another sports bra that doesn't have any seaming so I am going to try that one next time with a little glide and hopefully that will do the trick.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I use chamois butt'r that I got from the tri shop (bike shop also carries it).