Not directly related to eating, but...

Options
My so sent me this link today.

http://www.upworthy.com/9-out-of-10-americans-are-completely-wrong-about-this-mind-blowing-fact-2

As I watched it, I became more and more angry.

What are these top 1% of people up to, I wonder? Perhaps they are spending massive amounts of money to convince us to eat and drink things that will turn us into obese, fatigued sheep? Then they can get us to pay for gym memberships and all sorts of 'beauty' products to 'fix' us, not to mention the profit margins on all the medications needed to 'treat' all the illnesses that come along with following the conventional wisdom regarding diet and exercise.

I'm not 100% sure, but I thiiiiink the Food Pyramid was revamped in the 70's, no? Right about the time this video points out that the income for the top 1% started rising. I could be very wrong, but I'd love to see a graph of American obesity rates next to a graph of the rise in income for that precious top percent.

Maybe they are trying to get us to always want the newest, latest, 'best' model of a product (that will be outdated and depreciated once it leaves its packaging,) so that we keep on spending and contributing to their profit margins?

And what makes me the saddest- or maddest, I honestly can't decide- is that it's working. Most of us are too worried about how we look, what other people think about us, or just trying to make enough money to pay the bills to have the time or energy to DO something about this.

I make 65 G's a year and I live paycheck to paycheck because I don't want to eat their nasty processed shiza and I'm saddled with student debt. Something needs to change... I really feel like in my lifetime there is going to be a revolution in the US, and honestly I can't wait to see it.

Replies

• mrsfoster102613
    mrsfoster102613 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree. We make about the same a year, and I do struggle at times because I want to purchase as much organic and/or local and/or unprocessed food, organic beauty products/toilietries etc. as possible. It's not cheap.

While it's true I would prefer to be vegetarian or even vegan, I do still currently eat meat, dairy etc. That being said, I try to purchase organic and local when possible, but that can be pricy! Why? Why does it cost more to eat food that is truly natural and not filled with chemicals, toxic preservatives and things of that nature?

Part of the reason I don't eat meat, even when I would like to, is because it's typically not cheap to buy it organic and/or local. I refuse to go back to making poor choices about the meat I'm going to cook, especially knowing what I know now. Don't get me wrong, I may eat it sometimes, but it's typically not something I have purchased and cooked myself. I just can't go back to that place...
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    You do realize that the top 1% isn't the same people it was in 1970, nor are many of them their heirs. Most are self made billionaires and millionaires who accomplished it by providing some pretty cool benefits for mankind. Yes, some cheated and manipulated their way there, but most got there through hard work.