Strength Training

Options
gonabfit
gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
Hey everyone! FINALLY off work. Still have notes to do and probably should eat but I had a salad earlier so that will have to suffice. Might have some peanuts before bed to prevent midnight snacking...

This post it about STRENGTH training... How many of you are doing it!? The people who reached their goals, did you lift at all?

I'm making goal to lift weights 3 days a week until the end of the challenge. The difficult part will be that I'm doing a LOT of traveling for interviews and conferences in the next 3 months. (of COURSE it coincides with this challenge.) So, free food, long flights, stress, and a constant need to perform... but I've set a goal to lose weight. So I'm going to have to be pretty darned strategic.

I'm starting Jillian Michael's 30 day shred today and wanted to invite anyone who has it to join in. :)

Also, let me know if you're going to incorporate ST... why or why not!

Talk soon guys :)

Replies

• dynamitegalxo
    dynamitegalxo Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I absolutely do! I did Stronglifts 5x5 for 6 months when I was training for some endurance cycling events and I LOVED it.

Right now, I'm too big/out of shape/inflexible to get back under the bar, but I'm definitely not slacking on the strength training. I have several kettlebell circuits that I do 3x/week. I'm also really big on body weight exercises because I think they're really intrinsic to good fitness. Planks, wall sits, squats, pushups, dips, etc. are great ways to train without equipment.

30DS packs a great punch for the time, and it really doesn't require anything outlandish. I actually used cans of beans when I did it the first time because I didn't want to go buy tiny pink hand weights haha.. it still worked for me!
  • miller930
    miller930 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I am going to credit strength training for my consistent losses along with eating right. I do cardio 2 to 3 days a week alternating with strength training 2 to 3 days a week, for a total of 4 to 6 days a week, 30 to 40 mins. each time. I could probably fit more in and push harder, but I'm happy with my numbers and don't want to start anything I won't be able to maintain through out life. Stay strong everybody and keep up the good work!:drinker:
  • gonabfit
    gonabfit Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Excellent!

I definitely think that ST is key to having a body you LOVE! Even if you lose weight with cardio only there is no guarantee you will like the new body. It may not have the definition we've (I've) grown to find enjoyable so I try to do SOMETHING most days. Even if it's just a few pushups or squats.

I think it's better than nothing. And strength training takes the inches away too