Emerita Progesterone Cream

Options
Hi girls!

I apologize if this question was answered in an earlier post, but I was just wondering how quickly I can expect to see results from using the progesterone cream. I am closing in on my 3rd week, and my symptoms are getting WORSE, not better. More hot flashes and more night sweats, and now, a new onset of sleeplessness. Do I have to get over a "hump" before it starts to kick in? I did not get my blood drawn and my levels checked, but I have been dealing with all the usual perimenopause symptoms for close to 3 years. I was lucky enough to start the cream as per the directions, I had a period after 2 months of not, and was able to start it in the best possible timing.

Thanks, and I'm wishing you all symptom free days, and cool nights!

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    My doc said up to three months. I definitely needed a couple of cycles. When I first started it, it kinda "reset" my cycle and I felt worse. Bigger boobs, bloated... then after a while it got better.

And then it got worse and I "upgraded" to compounded prescription bio-identical progesterone.
  • KariD1114
    KariD1114 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV....that being said when I started experiencing the sleepness nights, hot flashes, night sweats my doc said it was because of estrogen decline.

I've only ever been on prescribed oral bioidentical progesterone & just this week started a bioident progesterone/estradiol combo so I can't say one way or the other about this cream. When I first started taking the progesterone I noticed a difference immediately....soooo much calmer!

If you haven't ever, I would suggest going to a doctor who would do a detailed female hormone blood panel. That way you can see exactly how your individual levels look.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV....that being said when I started experiencing the sleepness nights, hot flashes, night sweats my doc said it was because of estrogen decline.

I've only ever been on prescribed oral bioidentical progesterone & just this week started a bioident progesterone/estradiol combo so I can't say one way or the other about this cream. When I first started taking the progesterone I noticed a difference immediately....soooo much calmer!

If you haven't ever, I would suggest going to a doctor who would do a detailed female hormone blood panel. That way you can see exactly how your individual levels look.
    Estradiol? Interesting. My NP gave me estriol (bioidentical).
    I agree whole heartedly about getting a blood panel done! Several of them if you can.
    (at different times of the month)
  • KariD1114
    Options
    LOL....made me look! My script shows 100 mg progesterone/2 mg of E2 (estradiol).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    LOL....made me look! My script shows 100 mg progesterone/2 mg of E2 (estradiol).
    Fascinating. I read up on all three when my doc prescribed mine. It's the "weakest" of the 3.

I added estrogen on August 6. So it's been almost 2 months. The first month I felt like it had resolved my two biggest complaints (bloating and migraines), but then they came back. boo.
    Going to give it another month.
  • KariD1114
    Options
    Fascinating. I read up on all three when my doc prescribed mine. It's the "weakest" of the 3.

I added estrogen on August 6. So it's been almost 2 months. The first month I felt like it had resolved my two biggest complaints (bloating and migraines), but then they came back. boo.
    Going to give it another month.

He told me to try it for 6 weeks. I got the change because my hair loss has picked up & my skin has been drying up. Also had a short bout of hot flashes & not sleeping well. He said I might experience breast swelling/tenderness as well as nausea with it.
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

I have a yearly check up with my PCP next month. Yay. : /
    I will ask her to do a series of tests.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get mightily pissed off dealing with and hearing about all this crap women have to go through. It shouldn't be so hard.

So far I've progressed from black cohosh, to Meno-Herbs, to the Emerita cream. I'm glad to know I have the "big guns" still in the wings, with the compunded meds. Good luck to you all.
  • KariD1114
    Options
    Thanks for the info.

I have a yearly check up with my PCP next month. Yay. : /
    I will ask her to do a series of tests.

I don't know about you guys, but sometimes I get mightily pissed off dealing with and hearing about all this crap women have to go through. It shouldn't be so hard.

So far I've progressed from black cohosh, to Meno-Herbs, to the Emerita cream. I'm glad to know I have the "big guns" still in the wings, with the compunded meds. Good luck to you all.

When my previous PCP did blood work, all she ran for a "female" panel was the LH & FSH which (in her words) only said if I was in menopause or not. My current PCP does a panel that gives my levels of pregnenolone, estradiol, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone.

FYI I can only speak for myself but my health ins does not cover compounded hormones but I can pay for them through my HSA account.

Good luck to you too! :flowerforyou:
  • Chickabittie
    Options
    [/quote]

When my previous PCP did blood work, all she ran for a "female" panel was the LH & FSH which (in her words) only said if I was in menopause or not. My current PCP does a panel that gives my levels of pregnenolone, estradiol, estrogen, progesterone, testosterone.

[/quote]

thanks, I forgot about the estradiol and testosterone. I'll ask her for them all. She usually listens to me.:wink:
  • CamillaHerold
    CamillaHerold Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I also get compounded estradiol, progesterone, and testosterone, and insurance does not pay. It averages about $50 a month. I just got an HSA at work and will definitely look into paying for it with that. Its worth every penny, and I'd pay lots more if I had to. But pretax HSA dollars go further.