Decaf Bulletproof Coffee??

Options
Fat2FitChick
Fat2FitChick Posts: 451 Member
I have been making my own Bulletproof coffee every morning but with decaffeinated coffee because I have high blood pressure and I don't want to get addicted to caffeine. I've seen what that looks like with my mom and don't want that to happen to me. Is this totally pointless? Does regular coffee need to be used instead?

Replies

• kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    It should be fine. The guy who originated Bulletproof Coffee (Dave Asprey) now sells decaff beans. BPC is mostly about the fat - and per the official website, it's also about using coffee beans that are free from mycotoxins, which are a type of mold. Mycotoxins are not tested for in coffee, and they impact our health and energy. The premise therefore is that when you drink mycotoxin-free coffee, you'll will have amazing energy and health as a result.

This article identifies some ways to improve your probability of getting mycotoxin free coffee (note that there is more risk that decaff has mycotoxins).
    How Can You Find Mycotoxin-Free Coffee?
    By following these tips, you can enjoy your cup of joe without having it ruin your health.

1. Drink coffee that has been made via wet processing. Because mycotoxins often form during the drying process, wet beans are much less likely to contain them than dry beans.

2. Do not drink decaffeinated coffee. Caffeine actually protects coffee beans from the growth of mold and can prevent large amounts of mycotoxins from growing.

3. Choose arabica beans over robusta beans. Though robusta varieties do have higher levels of caffeine, they also contain more mycotoxins.

4. Consider the environment in which your beans are grown. Because mold is less apt to grow at higher elevations, buying beans that have been harvested in the mountains of Central America is a great way to decrease the amount of toxins in your coffee.

5. Stay away from blends. Though blended coffees may taste good, there really is no way of telling where the different bean varieties have come from. Try to stick to single estate products rather than the major brand names.

6. Steam is an agent that can help break down toxins, so if all else fails, order an Americano.

Is Drinking Coffee Worth the Risk?

Yes, mycotoxins can have some adverse health effects, but the health benefits of coffee are certainly worth ensuring that you keep it in your daily diet. The trick is to find coffee that makes you feel great, rather than coffee that brings you down. It will take a bit of research on your part to pick the coffee beans and local coffee shop that are right for you, but the research will be more than worth it when you notice a difference in how you feel.

To many people, drinking coffee is something that is an important part of the day, for a variety of reasons. From boosting health to sparking energy, coffee can be a key component of their daily routine. But as explained above, organic coffee doesn't necessarily mean the healthiest coffee. By drinking coffee low in mycotoxins, you can be sure that your coffee habit is one that enhances, rather than detracts from, your health.

Learn more: http://www.naturalnews.com/034063_mycotoxins_coffee.html##ixzz2glYgOnP2

You can't ensure "mycotoxin free" by buying organic or more expensive coffee. You wouldn't taste it. You would have no way of knowing if your coffee had these. Mycotoxins aren't unique to coffee - they can occur with many different crops, including grains and rice.