Feeling Squats in Hip Flexors

Options
jhmomofmany
jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
I hope this isn't a stupid question!

I'm not really following the program yet, but doing workouts from Stage 1, lifting two days a week. I have been doing this since the beginning of September. I'm not exactly new to weight training, but (obviously) new to this program. My equipment is limited and I do not have access to a gym, so for now I am only able to use up to 73 pounds (weird number, I know) on the bar.

When I squat I feel it in the front of my upper quads and hip flexors, during the movement. I am a tall woman (5'11") so I understand the mechanics can be somewhat different for a taller person doing this lift. Also, I am learning the new (to me) technique of squatting parallel which is lower than I used to go when I would squat as a bodyweight exercise. And, of course, adding weights is new too. My question is, does feeling it in the front of my hips indicate that my form may be off? What is the best way to self-evaluate and be sure that I am squatting correctly?

Thank you in advance for any replies! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    when you go deeper you start to recruit more stabilizers (like hip flexors), this is not a height specific thing body a general body mechanics thing (I’m 5’3”). Actually, because of this, many people have to deload a great deal when they finally start squatting properly as the stabilizers are just not as strong (especially hip flexors). Also, your foot stance has an impact on what muscles you’re recruiting. While a squat is an overall great knee to hip exercise that works everything in that area a narrow squat (feet parallel directly under hip bones) increases the demand on core stabilizers and quads, mid squat (feet just outside of hip bones) recruits quads and glutes pretty evenly, wide squats recruits less quads and more glutes.
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    Thank you for the reply! Sounds like I'm probably not doing anything wrong, just different from what I was used to before.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    That sounds pretty accurate, just make sure you're getting a good stretch on them.
  • glreim21
    glreim21 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting that question...that exact same thing is happening to me (I am also 5"11 :)
  • jhmomofmany
    Options
    I will make it a point to be less lazy about stretching from now on.
    Thanks for posting that question...that exact same thing is happening to me (I am also 5"11 :)

:drinker: