New Guy Here...Glad I Found This Group

Options
mheebner
mheebner Posts: 285 Member
Hey all,
I am actually kind of excited I found this group. It's great that I can come here and talk with people who know EXACTLY what you are going through in trying to become a runner.

I have friend and family, and they are basically split into two groups. The first are the family/ friends who are glad of your accomplishments (W5D3 for example) but really they have no idea, and kinda give you the 'hey that's great' look. The second are those who are really into running, etc. I have a sister who marathons, and friends who do marathons, and iron mans. They are generally excited but they are so far removed from the 'beginning' I am almost embarrassed to mention my paltry successes. However they do have great advice, and pushed my into getting a run analysis done so I could get into the correct shoes. Turns out I was a heel-striking overpronator...ha.

Anyway I am just starting Week 7 of the C25K but I have been stretching my runs out longer than the prescribed program. The last two runs in week 6 were 27 min and 30 mins respectively. I felt I could have gone more on the last run but I am scared to death of shin splints which had me sidelined on two separate occasions in this 7 weeks (actually more like 12 weeks since I had to let the shins heal...this was before I got it into my thick head that I needed better shoes)

I have only run on treadmill's so far but I have a plan in mind for when I am done with the program. The block I live on is exactly 1.55 miles around, goes through a park, and has a gradual decline as well as pretty intense incline. I figure I will use this to gain some outside running experience as well as increase my speed. I am currently running a 12 min mile.

I am really enjoying running, and I love the way I feel after. I also do weight lifting and just do not get the same level of satisfaction that I do when I push myself running.

Edit..I wanted to add this for anyone considering doing this program but are hesitant because they think they are too big, etc. I have not run AT ALL since I was in high school..I am now 41. I started this program when I was over 300 lbs. I did the rookie mistakes of not getting correct shoes, and pushing myself too hard and going outside the program before I was ready. But I stuck with it, and if I can do this anyone can do this !!

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Love this post! Congratulations on your success already!!!

I totally get you on the "how do I talk to experienced runners" thing. We have a Bridge to 10k group for C25k graduates in that transition period.

At this point you SHOULD feel like you could run double the distance after your run. Eventually, you might work up to a place where your long run pushes that limit, but right now your body is still adapting to this new form of exercise.

A word of experience: several people on here have transitioned from treadmill to outdoor (and vice versa). The majority of them find it surprisingly hard. They do it anyway, but be prepared to slow way down - it might even feel like starting over.

Well after graduating C25k, I switched to more minimal shoes and had to back up my running quite a bit. I discovered (from more experienced runners) that this is something that you just have to accept in running. You change your form, you do a longer distance race, etc, etc. you need time to transition so you don't get hurt.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    We have a Bridge to 10k group for C25k graduates in that transition period.

We do? Having just finished W8D3 yesterday, this is relevant to my interests. Am surprised in looking at the next six weeks of the Zen Labs C210k app that is looks like a simple linear progression. I don't recall seeing any short/long deviations.

As for OP, awesome success so far. While I am not in a position that you should give any weight to my advice, I'll offer it anyhow. Consider transitioning from your heel-striking ways. I found success (somewhat, so far) in doing this by using my minimalist shoes (Inov-8 F-lites w/ 3mm drop) a little at a time increasing this slowly. (My last week was done exclusively in them.) I also focused on contacting the ground *under* my body and not *ahead of* it. I'm not convinced that my form is great and intend to find some coaching for that, but it's definitely better and many of my problems are improving. (Odd that I feel better running in minimalist shoes than I do in my super-comfy Brooks Adrenalines...which are awesome shoes, they just may not be ideal for me.)
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I have read that is hard to transition from treadmill to outside so I have zero illusions about it. I actually don't mind running on a treadmill but if I want to do a 5K I know I need to get some outdoors experience in. I am not in any type of 'rush' if I do need to go back to a walk/run for the transition. My goal is to be ready for the speed increases outdoors in spring 2014.

After getting my analysis done, and getting New Balance 860's, I did nothing but focus on landing mid-foot. I believe I have corrected the heel striking, and I no longer have shin splints...but the feeling that I will get them again is very prevalent in my mind when I am 'pushing' myself. After getting wicked, wicked shin splints twice, its tough to get it out of my mind
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We have a Bridge to 10k group for C25k graduates in that transition period.

We do? Having just finished W8D3 yesterday, this is relevant to my interests. Am surprised in looking at the next six weeks of the Zen Labs C210k app that is looks like a simple linear progression. I don't recall seeing any short/long deviations.

As for OP, awesome success so far. While I am not in a position that you should give any weight to my advice, I'll offer it anyhow. Consider transitioning from your heel-striking ways. I found success (somewhat, so far) in doing this by using my minimalist shoes (Inov-8 F-lites w/ 3mm drop) a little at a time increasing this slowly. (My last week was done exclusively in them.) I also focused on contacting the ground *under* my body and not *ahead of* it. I'm not convinced that my form is great and intend to find some coaching for that, but it's definitely better and many of my problems are improving. (Odd that I feel better running in minimalist shoes than I do in my super-comfy Brooks Adrenalines...which are awesome shoes, they just may not be ideal for me.)

I highly recommend the "Good Form Running" Clinics.

Here is the 10k group -> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/543-bridge-to-10k

It's mostly a bunch of 5k grads talking about their training plans, successes and running in general. Plans. Fueling. Apps. Race strategies (or at least what we've researched and tried so far). Cool things to read.

Some of us are just continuing to run the 5k distance, some are working a 10k program. Others are recovering from injury. Some are starting to work on longer distances. We'd love to have you.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I have read that is hard to transition from treadmill to outside so I have zero illusions about it. I actually don't mind running on a treadmill but if I want to do a 5K I know I need to get some outdoors experience in. I am not in any type of 'rush' if I do need to go back to a walk/run for the transition. My goal is to be ready for the outdoors in spring 2014.

Also, there are experienced people on here, if you want tips and support.
  • jofjltncb6
    Options
    I have read that is hard to transition from treadmill to outside so I have zero illusions about it. I actually don't mind running on a treadmill but if I want to do a 5K I know I need to get some outdoors experience in. I am not in any type of 'rush' if I do need to go back to a walk/run for the transition. My goal is to be ready for the speed increases outdoors in spring 2014.

After getting my analysis done, and getting New Balance 860's, I did nothing but focus on landing mid-foot. I believe I have corrected the heel striking, and I no longer have shin splints...but the feeling that I will get them again is very prevalent in my mind when I am 'pushing' myself. After getting wicked, wicked shin splints twice, its tough to get it out of my mind

Good to hear...

...and I know this fear, except that mine was/is re plantar fasciitis. Before PF, occasional foot pain, from whatever cause and of whatever duration was just part of life. Now, with every little feeling in my foot, my mind immediately decides, "yup, that's definitely PF. OH NO!!! IT'S PF!!!"
  • jofjltncb6
    Options

Thanks. Here is a better link to the group itself: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/groups/home/526-bridge-to-10k
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Sounds like you are well on your way.

I'm one of those who had a hard time transitioning from treadmill to outdoors. It's worth the battle. I love running outdoors now. Sounds like you already know what to expect.

Looking forward to hearing your stories here.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Congrats on what you've done!

I started running with C25K in January - this group here got me into MFP (was a member prior, but never used the site).

I'm a new triathlete with a goal for Half-Irons - *maybe* next year. And I'm one of the injured ones Varda mentioned. Broke my wrist and had surgery when I crashed my bike during my first triathlon. Soooo not the finish I had envisioned.

Running is definitely my weak point, and I am working predominantly on speed right now - on a treadmill.

It's a good time of year to move outside. It's cooling off. I liked starting in January. I don't think I would have liked to start outside in late spring/early summer because I would have been too hot/miserable. But, since I started in the colder months, the summer was great.