My first Whole30

Options
Rei1988
Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
I'm planning on staring the Whole30 Tues, following my keto macros & the whole30 outline. It's exciting yet kinda scary because I won't have those comfort foods to ease my difficulties. Dairy is going to be the toughest for me as I rely on it for a good portion of my fat. I know I will have the option of BP coffee/tea, mayo, nuts, avocado, oils & meat. I will have to learn to utilize them more efficiently.

Any advice for a first timer? I don't have the Whole30 books, idk if that matter much.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Ask me anything, anytime. My advice is to push through those 30 days no matter what. Eat as much as you need to, because restricting calories too much is not going to help.

Also, one mistake I see with many people doing a Whole30 is that they get through it (sometimes not) but then go crazy with all the foods they couldn't have during W30. I don't see the benefit of a Whole30 if it's used as a reason to binge at the end. I did a Whole30 (actually 32) but didn't binge at the end. In fact, I've kept with making my coffee bulletproof and restricting dairy.

I thought that I would have trouble with getting the fat after quitting dairy, but that's not what happened at all. I find it even easier to get my fats with the BP coffee and homemade condiments, meat and fat. :)
  • Rei1988
    Options
    Ask me anything, anytime. My advice is to push through those 30 days no matter what. Eat as much as you need to, because restricting calories too much is not going to help.

Also, one mistake I see with many people doing a Whole30 is that they get through it (sometimes not) but then go crazy with all the foods they couldn't have during W30. I don't see the benefit of a Whole30 if it's used as a reason to binge at the end. I did a Whole30 (actually 32) but didn't binge at the end. In fact, I've kept with making my coffee bulletproof and restricting dairy.

I thought that I would have trouble with getting the fat after quitting dairy, but that's not what happened at all. I find it even easier to get my fats with the BP coffee and homemade condiments, meat and fat. :)

Thanks Akima :)
  • Lizzard_77
    Lizzard_77 Posts: 232 Member
    Options

Absolutely, you can reach out to me as well at anytime. I didn't do it keto but I did it whole hog (no pun intended, but really). I am also pretty good at trouble shooting foods so if you are stuck for anything and want to bounce ideas around, I am here.

Advice, same as Akima to push through and just do it, no questions, no cheats, no bullsh*t (my added words, obviously). But, cook-ups are necessary, pre-planning may not be but it really helps so there are no questions as to what you are going to eat. I do a weekly meal plan and grocery list anyway but it became vital that I spend some time each week planning at least my Meal 3, and having a general plan for my Meal 1 and Meal 2.

Allow yourself to rest. Allow yourself to not exercise, at least for the first week to week and 1/2. Take it easy on your body as you will be detoxing, maybe not as much as others since you have been keto/primal but you do have to take the time. Take very, very good care of yourself, take baths, relax, get a massage, stretch and relax. your body is healing and changing, that is a lot of work! Take care of your mind too, try to let go of any internal chatter and let outside influences go, try to just be.

I would recommend getting the book because there are a lot of things that can catch you up that you don't even realize however if you don't, this http://www.whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ is a great place to start. I also found Well Fed / The Clothes Make the Girl to be amazing resources as well as Practical Paleo. These items are not necessary however you probably should trundle over to the forums on http://forum.whole9life.com/ I would hate to lose you here but the forums were really helpful and I still check in over there, have been thinking about how to balance the two cause I miss my buddes over there (if you do sign up for the forums, look for me, Lizzard77).

I am planning on doing another one soon and I am so happy that you are, and proud (beware, cheesy moment), Seriously, I am here if you have any questions.

Do it, and do it well!
  • Rei1988
    Options

Absolutely, you can reach out to me as well at anytime. I didn't do it keto but I did it whole hog (no pun intended, but really). I am also pretty good at trouble shooting foods so if you are stuck for anything and want to bounce ideas around, I am here.

Advice, same as Akima to push through and just do it, no questions, no cheats, no bullsh*t (my added words, obviously). But, cook-ups are necessary, pre-planning may not be but it really helps so there are no questions as to what you are going to eat. I do a weekly meal plan and grocery list anyway but it became vital that I spend some time each week planning at least my Meal 3, and having a general plan for my Meal 1 and Meal 2.

Allow yourself to rest. Allow yourself to not exercise, at least for the first week to week and 1/2. Take it easy on your body as you will be detoxing, maybe not as much as others since you have been keto/primal but you do have to take the time. Take very, very good care of yourself, take baths, relax, get a massage, stretch and relax. your body is healing and changing, that is a lot of work! Take care of your mind too, try to let go of any internal chatter and let outside influences go, try to just be.

I would recommend getting the book because there are a lot of things that can catch you up that you don't even realize however if you don't, this http://www.whole9life.com/2013/06/the-official-can-i-have-guide-to-the-whole30/ is a great place to start. I also found Well Fed / The Clothes Make the Girl to be amazing resources as well as Practical Paleo. These items are not necessary however you probably should trundle over to the forums on http://forum.whole9life.com/ I would hate to lose you here but the forums were really helpful and I still check in over there, have been thinking about how to balance the two cause I miss my buddes over there (if you do sign up for the forums, look for me, Lizzard77).

I am planning on doing another one soon and I am so happy that you are, and proud (beware, cheesy moment), Seriously, I am here if you have any questions.

Do it, and do it well!

Thankies for all your support!! :D I feel all determined now. I plan to prep & portion meals. I have some serious shopping to do, I just hope we don't run out of money, cuz my bf ( like many men) eat like a bottomless pit!