Things Worth Mentioning...Read When Discouraged!

Options
juliemouse83
juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
I was perusing my feed this morning over coffee and saw a post from one of us regarding some increase on the scale and ups and downs on the measuring tape.

This is totally normal, Ladies.

When I started picking up the heavy things in February, the scale shot up a few pounds right off the bat, and I was devastated! At the time, I wasn't aware that a new routine would cause the body to retain water. Apparently muscles will swell, and that water is being used to repair/heal the muscles from the new routine.

That being said, I did a little experiment last week. I usually weigh on Monday mornings, after two relatively sedentary rest days, since my body has had since Friday to dump whatever, if any, surplus water from the lower body workout from the previous Friday. Last Monday my scale said that I weighed 154.8 lbs, which was a number I hadn't seen in years, so this was good. I also measured, and found my waist was missing an entire half inch, which was also good.

Then, I decided to get on the scale Thursday morning, after having done our Lower Body-A workout the night before. I wanted to see if there was extra weight on the morning after. Sure enough, the scale said 157.2 lbs. up almost what? 2.5 pounds? My waist was also up just over half an inch. I wasn't surprised, especially given how sore I was. I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that this increase in weight wasn't "real" weight gained, due to the several hundred calorie deficit each day for the past couple weeks.

Don't worry too much if the tape fluctuates. Muscles apparently swell (hence the term, "get swole"?:bigsmile: ) after lifting, which is why we look more buff immediately after each workout, I believe. (Of course, I could be totally wrong about this, because I wasn't very good in anatomy class, but it does make sense...) Worry even less about the numbers on the scale. They are not the best indicator of our progress. I can speak from personal experience that it's hard to ignore the numbers and get one's head wrapped around the fact that our scales are not the be all end all of progress, and that it can be quite the liar.

I personally expect to see my numbers all over the map in the coming week as we lower our reps and increase our weights. We're going to be working harder, so it isn't going to be a surprise.

And please know, when I get frustrated because my numbers aren't doing what they are supposed to do, I'm going to come back and re-read this myself, because it's really easy to say all this when my mind is in a happy place, but not so much when it thinks I am doing something wrong. :wink:

To all of you badass women: :flowerforyou: you rock, you're working it hard, and we are headed in the right direction.

Edited because spelling and punctuation are cool, lol.

Replies

• kerrygailis
    kerrygailis Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Thanks Julie for the kind words and they are so true. I like most of us will get discouraged when the scale doesn't change and the measurements are all wack!

I think if we just remember that we're on an amazing journey to a healthier lifestyle, and gaining strength as we do it.

I think not giving up, (which none of us have done) is really important as our ultimate bodies are around the corner

Thanks everyone for the great encouragement and words of wisdom you all give me. Can't wait to see how the next 8 weeks unfold.

:flowerforyou:
  • SuperCrsa
    SuperCrsa Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Yeah this is a brilliant post! Thank you Julie.

Its so true. I dont want to trust measurements, and I have never done weight training like this before. I dont know what my body is going to do! I have been on 93.5kgs for the last 4 weeks. Lol. BUT I am definitely losing, so scale measurements is nothing right now to me. Although I still weigh every morning. And since this last thursday I was on 91kgs. Havent logged it will see.

But yeah, the mind set shouldnt be, OK I want to be x weight by this date. We should be seeing this as a commitment to ourselves and our bodies. I want to lose weight to A) look fekking sexy and hot and FEEL good about myself. B) my health. I have seen my grandpa suffer through diabetes and illness and heart disease. I want to do this for my future older self. Start now and I will be healthier and fitter and still looking great! :smile:

At least WE have started! We have been steady at this for a month now! Thats not even half way through. I have only logged onto MFP for 50 days now. This is just the starting stages, we cant expect to wake up thin. Hard work and dedication :)