Because I lift weights...

whitebalance
whitebalance Posts: 1,654 Member
We've all seen the awesome drool-worthy photos of body transformations on this site, but how has strength training made your life easier? I'm kind of a n00b, but I have noticed some worthwhile differences already and thought it would be interesting to hear yours too. Here are a few of mine...

I don't even notice wearing my 15-20 pound backpack, even if I'm walking a mile to the car after work.
I can shoot a sports event using the Really Long Lens without having to use a monopod.
I can move furniture without help... including the super-duper mondo-heavy elliptical trainer I just pushed out the door for a yard sale.

Replies

• chani8
    chani8 Posts: 946 Member
    My strength training got my teens motivated. For family time, we pump iron together! :)

I started walking with a weighted backpack and I feel like this is going to change my life. Today, it's just a little hike around the neighborhood, but now I'm starting to ponder just where I'd like to hike for real. A year ago, a walk around the grocery store felt like too much work, I was so lazy and weak.

Because I lift weights, I feel like a badass!! Reminds me of how I felt as a soldier, many years ago. And I'm in better shape now!
  • mkphotogirl
    mkphotogirl Posts: 55 Member
    My legs feel stronger when I'm running and my IT band injury seems to have improved a lot!
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    I can carry ALL the groceries in at once (I love plastic for that reason, as it hooks over the arms), including either a 20 pound bag of dog food or my husband's case of beer.

I can sling a forty pound bag of bird seed around like it's nothing.

I don't have to keep calling Maintenance to move heavy stuff at work because I do it myself.
  • whitebalance
    I can carry ALL the groceries in at once (I love plastic for that reason, as it hooks over the arms), including either a 20 pound bag of dog food or my husband's case of beer.
    Yes!! Packages at the UPS Store too. Though my UPS guys are getting used to it now.
    "Would you like some help out with that, ma'am? It must weigh, like, 25 pounds." :huh:
    "Yeah, um... no thanks." :bigsmile:

mkphotogirl, that's great news about your IT band! I've read that squats are good for the knees when they're done at or below parallel... I hope it's true, because I just started running a couple months ago.

chani8, a badass mama raising badass girls -- so awesome. :happy:
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    I have to push around a 70 pound guacamole cart at the restaurant that I work at. Most of the guys have a hard time maneuvering it around, but it's a piece of cake for me. Well it is in my arms. I definitely feel it in my abs later... Need to work on that.
  • NoxDineen
    NoxDineen Posts: 497 Member
    I can carry my 50 lb dog when she's being a princess and won't walk through the mud.
  • schonkreuz
    schonkreuz Posts: 493 Member
    Instead of taking the baby out of the stroller to go up the 15 or so stairs to my apartments I just carry it up with him in it lol.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    I have to push around a 70 pound guacamole cart at the restaurant that I work at. Most of the guys have a hard time maneuvering it around, but it's a piece of cake for me. Well it is in my arms. I definitely feel it in my abs later... Need to work on that.

I want to know where I can get a 70 lb guacamole cart. NOMNOMNOM

I don't need a cart at petsmart anymore for food and/or litter. Makes the whole trip way faster!
  • amflautist
    amflautist Posts: 941 Member
    I used to ask for 'carry-out' when I bought 40-50# bags of birdseed. No more. It's great fun to be able to lift those bags at my age!!!
  • dafoots0911
    dafoots0911 Posts: 347 Member
    I used to ask for 'carry-out' when I bought 40-50# bags of birdseed. No more. It's great fun to be able to lift those bags at my age!!!
    Lady, when you said "at my age" I had to take a peek at your profile. WOW!!! You are inspiring.
  • whitebalance
    Lady, when you said "at my age" I had to take a peek at your profile. WOW!!! You are inspiring.
    Double WOW!!! You're the one on the left? That is AWESOME!!
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    I'm not sure I can properly describe the main difference, the nearest I can do is that I feel 'present' in my body- just solid! Does that make sense? The other cool part of course is that if there's something heavy needs lifting at wok the others ask me instead of the male caretakers- so funny
  • MstngSammy
    MstngSammy Posts: 436 Member

Holy Cow! Yes Ma'am!! :happy: