Macros & Activity Level

Options
Hi

I have a desk based job, walk 20 minutes a day 5x a week. I work out for 45 minutes on a Tuesday doing back weights and 10 mins on rower, Wednesday 30 minutes HIIT, Thursday 45 minutes HIIT, Friday 1 hour bicep/tricep heavy lifting, Saturday 1 hour chest/shoulder heavy lifting + 20 minutes interval training on the running machine (1 min run, 1 min walk), Sunday 45 minutes leg workout heavy lifting + 10 minutes stepper.

What activity level would you say I'm at? And also what do you think I should set my macros at?

Thanks

Kels

Replies

• jordymils
    jordymils Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    You're a bit more active than me (I do 4 x 60 min crossfit sessions, 1-2 x 40 min walks and 1 other HIIT resistance session per week) and I've been told I'm above moderate, so I'd say you definitely are too. I'm not sure if I'd class myself as strenuous though, so I've picked a number between my TDEE for moderate and strenuous. I'd say you'd be closer to the strenuous level, but it can take a bit of trial and error. My biggest reason for thinking I had underestimated my TDEE (was originally just eating for moderate activity) was because I hadn't gained any weight 2 weeks into my reset, so figured I wasn't quite eating enough.

As for macros, there's no exact rule but EM2WL suggests 40% carbs, 30% protein and 30% fat. This is what I've always been told for muscle building, toning, fat loss, etc. But some people will operate better on slightly different ratios so start with one set and see how you're going after a few weeks.
    I struggle to have that many carbs most days and tend to go over a little in fat, so I try to hit my protein 100% and if the others 2 are a touch off I'm not too fussed. But it's always a great feeling when they all get filled to the gram!! :)
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    100 min med cardio walking (20 x 5)
    115 min high cardio HIIT, row, stepper, ect (10+30+45+20+10)
    210 min lifting (45+60+60+45)
    7.08 hrs weekly of exercise (if I added up the sections right).

If your 40 hr work time is indeed sedentary desk job sitting all day, than 1.54 x BMR.
    If your job or that 40 hr equal time is actually not sedentary, then higher than that by some amount, depending on how active it is.

Figure from the spreadsheet on my profile page using the activity calculator rather than 5 rough levels. Because with 7 hrs, you'd be at Very Active rounded up, but not the case with walking in there, nor lifting.