disguising the tast of tuna

Options
I went through a phase where I was practically living off tuna and a switch went of in my head and now it makes me gag trying to eat it unless its in a really good recipe. Any one got any recipes that do a really good job at making tuna not taste like....ahhh tuna?

Replies

• Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I went through a phase where I was practically living off tuna and a switch went of in my head and now it makes me gag trying to eat it unless its in a really good recipe. Any one got any recipes that do a really good job at making tuna not taste like....ahhh tuna?

was it because it was cheap?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to be the one to say it.

If you don't like tuna, then don't eat tuna.

But if you're hard-pressed on eating it, mix it with some cottage cheese, curry powder, salt and black pepper and eat it then. Or mayo, if you like mayo.

Also, mixing tuna and mashed sweet potato with an egg can make great tuna patties.
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with the previous poster--why eat it if it makes you gag? I much prefer fresh tuna over the stuff in cans, which is what I suspect you're talking about. I also prefer tuna that has been packed in olive oil over any other sort, and especially the stuff packed in brine or just water.

Ways to eat the stuff in cans: all sorts of tuna salad variations can be made by changing up which veggies you chop up and add to the mix. You can add different herbs/spices as well. I make my own mayo (really easy) which is what I think really makes it great.

I sometimes can't be bothered to do any more prep than slicing a lemon or lime and squeezing the juice over the tuna with a couple cranks of black pepper.

Salad Niçoise is nice, but a bit of a production.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to be the one to say it.

If you don't like tuna, then don't eat tuna.

But if you're hard-pressed on eating it, mix it with some cottage cheese, curry powder, salt and black pepper and eat it then. Or mayo, if you like mayo.

Also, mixing tuna and mashed sweet potato with an egg can make great tuna patties.

Bro I eat tuna for mult reasons
    1. Its cheap, really cheap
    2. it's lean, really lean....and really high in protein
    3. it's easy, really easy

I eat a lot of things I'm not exactly fond of and that's part of the discipline that comes with body enhancement....Life isn't a bowl of cherries. If I ate only the foods I really like then I wouldn't be seeing much for results....know what I'm saying bud?
  • Shadowknight137
    Shadowknight137 Posts: 1,243 Member
    Options

I eat a lot of things I'm not exactly fond of and that's part of the discipline that comes with body enhancement....Life isn't a bowl of cherries. If I ate only the foods I really like then I wouldn't be seeing much for results....know what I'm saying bud?

Fair enough to all three of the above reasons. I couldn't do it myself, and was just curious. Though will suggest maybe looking into other cuts of cheap lean meat, like beef heart and liver, which you might find - despite the fact that it's offal - more appealing.

Ox heart is like steak when prepared correctly, makes amazing stir fry and can even be made into brilliant nachos if minced.

However if so adamant on tuna, I highly recommend mixing it with sweet potato to make burger patties. It's delicious.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

Fair enough to all three of the above reasons. I couldn't do it myself, and was just curious. Though will suggest maybe looking into other cuts of cheap lean meat, like beef heart and liver, which you might find - despite the fact that it's offal - more appealing.

Ox heart is like steak when prepared correctly, makes amazing stir fry and can even be made into brilliant nachos if minced.

However if so adamant on tuna, I highly recommend mixing it with sweet potato to make burger patties. It's delicious.

Second the cheapness of beef liver. I got some a while back and I think when my husband tasked his parents with getting it (they're closer to the butcher we source our meat from), he was like "get however much you can get with $50." We ended up with like 40lbs or some obscene amount, because it was dirt cheap.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any strong spice: Cayenne, paprika, chili, etc.
  • danger2oneself2
    danger2oneself2 Posts: 340 Member
    Options

Second the cheapness of beef liver. I got some a while back and I think when my husband tasked his parents with getting it (they're closer to the butcher we source our meat from), he was like "get however much you can get with $50." We ended up with like 40lbs or some obscene amount, because it was dirt cheap.

Hmmm thanks guys I'm definitely going to have to look into beef liver, I had no idea organ meat was so cheap. I LOVE deer liver and heart....honestly one of my fav cuts on a deer! What about cow heart? Do butchers offer that too, cheap?
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options

Hmmm thanks guys I'm definitely going to have to look into beef liver, I had no idea organ meat was so cheap. I LOVE deer liver and heart....honestly one of my fav cuts on a deer! What about cow heart? Do butchers offer that too, cheap?

Oran meat is cheap and offers so many nutritional benefits as well. I usually do chicken hearts (my favorite) and gizzards. Haven't done any liver yet, but looking forward to trying it.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I hate tuna so I don't eat it. In fact, fish just doesn't like me so it's not something I eat often. I live where I have access to wild Arctic char, so I eat that occasionally.

Secondly, tuna is cheap but is often contaminated with mercury. That makes it NOT cheap where health is concerned.

Thirdly, I purposefully try to eat high fat meats. The fact that it is lean and I have to add a ton of fat to it makes it much less desirable.

Fourthly, my child LOVES tuna so I keep it out of the house (due to afore-mentioned mercury contamination).

There are a lot of lean proteins available besides tuna. Which sometimes isn't even tuna apparently.

So, I didn't answer the question except to reinforce "don't eat it if you don't like it".