Vegetarian protein

Options
jordymils
jordymils Posts: 230 Member
I am in the middle of my reset, eating around 2400 calories per day with my macros set to 40/30/30 of carbs, protein and fat. This leaves me with around 180g of protein required each day. Some days I hit this and some days it seems impossible.

Just wondering if anyone has any recommendations of things I can add in to a vegetarian diet to up my protein significantly?
I'm lactose intolerant but find that greek yoghurt doesn't give me too much trouble. On a daily basis I eat 1-2 serves of pea/rice protein powder, eggs and egg whites, greek yoghurt, beans/chickpeas/lentils, nuts and nut butters, seeds, soy milk, etc.
I'm getting sick of adding egg whites to everything just to get the protein up!!

Also, does anyone know if there is a limit of how many protein shakes is ok to have in a day? I have 1 with breakfast and another after my training 4-5 days per week, but am thinking about adding another one in the afternoons (maybe before training) just to make life a little easier. This would mean having 3 serves though on some days. Is that too much? I use a 100% vegan and natural powder..

Thanks!!

Replies

• liapr
    liapr Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Ahh I'm having the same issue! I'm struggling to hit 130g, and having one protein shake a day. Maybe I will add in a second one as well... there are only so many beans and greek yogurt and nuts I can eat! Haha

Maybe adding a bit of extra greek yogurt to your protein shakes would help too?
  • jordymils
    Options
    I added half a serve of greek yoghurt to my oatmeal breakfast, on top of the full serve I'll have as my morning snack. If I'm really struggling I add scrambled egg whites to everything haha and as a last resort I have some quest protein bars that I'll have as dessert or something, but SURELY there has to be more interesting ways to get protein? haha
  • AnitraSoto
    AnitraSoto Posts: 725 Member
    Options
    I am a pescatarian, so I have the luxury of being able to add fish to my diary, which is a real help. Only other things that come to mind other than the things you mentioned are quinoa (which I guess is technically a seed, so you really did mention it...) , tofu, and tempeh.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Ultimately as long as you're getting your nutrition from whole foods, who cares if they're blended up or not. The only problem that could come form eating too many shakes is if you're using protein shakes full of added sweeteners, preservatives, and gums which polute your system and will make you're tummy uneasy and lose your interest in the shakes over time. Go for natural proteins with few additives or none. I am also loving this de-fatted pumpkin seed protein which is great to cook with in pancakes or muffins as well as add to smooties. I've just started to try pea protein thats great for the same reason. These are all easier to digest than whey and add a vegetarian variety and a variety of other nutrients. Another benefit of pumpkin seed and pea protein is that it has a higher protein ratio similar to whey. Rice and hemp proteins tend to have a lower protein ratio.
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Seitan (wheat gluten) is maybe my main protein source: really tasty, low fat and almost 20% protein. Better yet if it's made from hemp. Hemp is probably the most complete and balanced vegetal protein source.

Also if you're not vegan you could try some parmesan cheese which is 30% protein, but be sure to get the REAL italian parmesan cheese (parmigiano reggiano DOP), which is worth every penny.
  • Feed_the_Bears
    Feed_the_Bears Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah I looove putting Parmesan on popcorn or on top of soups :)
  • jordymils
    Options
    I don't use a whey powder, I use a blended pea and rice powder which is 100% natural so no added nasties.
    Have to say I've never liked seitan - can't quite stomach the texture - but maybe I'll try it again. Although I am a little sensitive to gluten so would have to be only as a last resort.

I'm not vegan but I am lactose intolerant so cheese isn't such a good idea. Even so though, almost all hard cheeses use animal rennet (usually calf stomach) in them as the setting agent, so they're not actually vegetarian.
    I'm in Australia so not sure what the protocol is elsewhere, but unless it says 'non-animal rennet' in the ingredients, it will have animal products...
  • coccodrillo72
    coccodrillo72 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Have to say I've never liked seitan - can't quite stomach the texture - but maybe I'll try it again. Although I am a little sensitive to gluten so would have to be only as a last resort.

As far as the texture is concerned: it depends on the type (natural, grilled, etc.) and on the brand: I love seitan, but I also tried some bad brands during the years.

If you have gluten issues you can try the hemp seitan: it's gluten free and have a better protein profile, but it's also a little more fiber-y, if you know what I mean.
    I'm not vegan but I am lactose intolerant so cheese isn't such a good idea. Even so though, almost all hard cheeses use animal rennet (usually calf stomach) in them as the setting agent, so they're not actually vegetarian.
    I'm in Australia so not sure what the protocol is elsewhere, but unless it says 'non-animal rennet' in the ingredients, it will have animal products...

it's true, but there is also parmesan with non-animal rennet.

Also, parmesan cheese is the only cheese that even lactose intolerant and allergic people are allowed to eat - you have to buy the 36+ months seasoned one - lactose is absent and casein is transformed in a form that do not cause allergic reactions. My toddler is allergic (not intolerant, he has a full allergy) so I've studied the topic.
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    Cottage cheese is a great low fat protein source. I also eat a lot of other cheeses such as halloumi, feta, cheddar, edam, etc. All have good protein content but vary in fat so it depends on what you can fit into your calorie goal and macros and what your stomach is OK with.

Quorn and soya 'meats' are a great way to get extra protein in too.

I love Primal vegan jerky too. I have to buy it online imported from US so it's not cheap but good for a handy snack. I also get Trek protein flapjacks which are vegan, wheat and dairy free.

Also try adding nutritional yeast to soups and stews to add a bit more protein. Same goes for pea, hemp or rice protein powders. Also try adding to oatmeal for increase breakfast protein intake.
  • PudgycatDoll
    Options
    Quinoa and nutritional yeast have nice protein, as well. I am sorry to hear you are sensitive to gluten because seitan has been saving my butt protein-wise. Maybe you just need to find new ways to make beans for them to be a help? Like patties/burgers. Broccoli has nice protein as well, that's been a help for me, too.