Continuing to gain weight??? Can you please help?

Options
6550mom
6550mom Posts: 206 Member
Things you should try to provide for specific intake questions:

Provide your stats (height/weight/age/bodyfat% if you know it/etc)
5’3”, 154 pounds, 44 yrs, body fat =34 (calculated and close to my scale)

What's your current gross intake of calories, on average?
Set to 1450 –I average right around there over time.

What's your current average intake of protein, carbs, and fats, in grams? (GRAMS, not percent!)
Protein: average is 30-50g. My “natural” diet is around 35 or so, I can push it to 50 with little thought. Higher requires forethought- I don’t eat meat or poultry, but can eat eggs, fish, dairy, etc… I know this is an area I need to improve.

Carbs: all over the place but average maybe around 150

Fat: around 45-55.

Do you use a food scale and measure everything?
I don’t weigh everything at every meal, but I keep the scale out and I periodically ‘test’ myself- I will estimate a cup of cereal or ounce of cheese and then weigh to check. I’m a scientist, so probably do a little better than average on the estimates. I’m usually close or actually overestimate most things by just al iittle.

Do you track all of your intake, daily? (Everything?)
I’m usually pretty good about this. I have some holes in my logging days, BUT the days I log have everything- condiments, a couple crackers as I pack the kdis lunches- I put it on there.

Do you take cheat days or days off?
Not intentionally- some days I go over, but I still log for the most part, as best I can.

How much weight have you lost so far and over what time period?
Jan-June lost 9 pounds- Insanity, then stronglifts 5X5

June-August gained 11 pounds- was sick (why I can’t believe I gained so much, I couldn’t eat much for half of this time) and injured (very little meaningful exercise while my back got better)

August to now: haven’t lost one ounce of those 11 gained pounds (source of tears and depression and canceled plans with friends because I’m so embarrassed and self-conscious.

Describe your activity (exercise and non exercise) and did you change that activity within the last couple of months?
Jan-June- Insanity, then stronglifts 5x5
July-Aug- not much due to injury and illness
Aug 9 to now- stronglifts every other day/3X per week, walk/jog intervals outside or treadmill, Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 workouts sporadically.

I have squat stands and barbell in my home, as well as a treadmill. I have access to a full gym as well.

How long have you been stalled and if it is not a complete stall please be very specific as to how much you have lost over the stalled period. I have not lost an ounce or a fraction of an inch in 2 months.

Are you breastfeeding? NO

Do you have thyroid issues/risks or PCOS? *I have no thyroid as it was surgically removed. I am on thyroid replacement and have been stable. I have no signs or symptoms of hypothyroidism currently (I was having some fatigue but it was more related to other issues. I seem to be back to baseline now)

Importantly, I have no large intestine. That was also surgically removed due to severe ulcerative colitis. For me, this means, I have a harder time staying hydrated because of the decreased water absorption and this is a chronic battle. I also cannot eat a lot of raw, crunchy veggies in a day because I will become very, very ill. I have no problem with spinach, tomatoes and CAN eat broccoli and things like that if I am very careful.

The illness I had from end June to August was related to my surgery. I get a condition called pouchitis where I basically have what would feel to other people like a severe gastrointestinal illness (without giving TMI). I came close to needing IV fluids once or twice in there, but have recovered quite well now.

*I should also add that this was pretty much working for me before (in fact, I was eating around 1600 calls at a minimum, I think), so I’m baffled at not only how I gained so much while I was sick, but why the scale hasn’t budged now. I know my macros are all screwed up and I know I need to fix them. But, I would think if my BMR really is 1300-1400 and my TDEE is 1700 (sedentary) or 1900 (light exercise), that I should have dropped some weight OR at least have improved measurements with heavy lifting every other day for 2 months.

I had tried the MFP calcs and ate 1200 calories plus exercise cals for a few weeks there, but it still came to around 1400 per day.

I just got on the scale UP another pound WTF?? I am sobbing as I type this now and am so tempted just to stop eating for a month or so, even though I don’t believe that’s the best course of action. I just can’t take this anymore, I now weight nearly what I weighed 9 months pregnant. I am beyond distraught. I am so tired of my friends telling me to try this or that fad diet or cleanse or eat 1000 cals a day, but for the first time ever, I'm tempted.

I know there are things I need to improve (protein, more cardio?), but I am lost about the calories and the weight gain.

Can you help? I am still fighting, but I’m afraid I’ll get so frustrated and hopeless that I will give up.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Tagging
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Given your list of medical conditions, we don't feel comfortable going into detail as far as dietary recommendations.

Regarding the weight loss portion however, based on looking at your diary and your comments I would suggest that you take the next two weeks to use your food scale on everything so that you can get a more accurate picture as to your energy intake, from that, perhaps you can make some conclusions that hopefully align with whatever restrictions your situation mandates.

Sorry we can't go into more detail and best of luck!
  • 6550mom
    Options
    The only medical condition I have now is a lack of a large intestine. I can't eat tons of veggies at once and I have to watch my hydration.

Could you please, please tell me what you would tell someone with my stats if I didn't have the above? I am VERY good at adapting around my missing length of intestine.

What would you suggest for calories? I don't know which way to go there...
    What about a workout? Do I need more cardio or mostly still lifting?

I'm just so lost.. .any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Hi! Can you weigh and religiously log absolutely everything for the next 2 weeks and we can have look at your intake levels and results. Weigh at the beginning and at least weekly. Please update us with your results in this thread at that point.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Hi! Can you weigh and religiously log absolutely everything for the next 2 weeks and we can have look at your intake levels and results. Weigh at the beginning and at least weekly. Please update us with your results in this thread at that point.

Yes, and thank you. I just need someone else who has a clue to take a look with me and help in any way. I put off even posting here for a while, but finally got the nerve, so I really appreciate your kindness.

Be back in 2 weeks...
  • 6550mom
    Options
    So, it's been about 2 weeks. I think* I have stopped gaining weight, geez, that was frustrating.

My logging and my intake have not changed. I did weigh and measure everything I ate at home and was pretty right on on my estimates (I would estimate, then weigh or measure) and usually was overestimating by just tiny amounts. So, I don't think this was different than previously reported.

I'm trying to eat 1450 cals per day. I'm in a range close to that. My TDEE calculates at 1690 for little to no exercise, and at 1936 for light activity.Either way, I should be at a deficit, even if I'm a little 'off'' on my estimates of intake. The last 2 weeks have been harder than usual because I was at a conference (hotel life) for 4 days, then my kid has been traveling with baseball. I tried to make choices that were easier to control (fajita at Chili's so I got to add the ingredients, for example).

So my weight has stabilized. I vary between 153.5 and 155. Because my hydration varies SO much (no colon, which is responsible for water absorption), I don't decide I've actually gained or lost until I see a trend for a few weeks, so I'm hoping the recent drop (fraction of a pound, but better than any time recently) is real, but time will tell.

This past week, I experimented with 5/3/1 with the Triumvirate accessory program. I did 3 of the workouts just to see how they are and I do like it, so would like to stick with that unless there is something better. If I do that, I will start tomorrow/Tuesday with week one. I loved SL5X5 but after hitting about 150 on squat, stalled and was getting a bit restless with doing the same lifts all the time.

Before my 11 pound weight gain over 2 months when I had to stop lifting, I had been eating probably 1600-1700 cals/ day and still losing. Man, I'd love to get back there.

My working theory now is that between being ill & poorly nourished and not taking/absorbing my thyroid medicine well, my metabolism may have taken a hit. SO much weight gained in such a short time though without eating THAT much excess.

I am 44 years old, 154 pounds, 5'3" tall. My job is often sedentary with lots of computer work. I try to be active on the weekends and hike or play with my kids. I lift 3-4 times per week.

So... for the last 2 weeks averages are

calories: 1457
    carbs: 169
    fat: 52
    protein: 67

I lifted 3 times per week and did *some cardio 2-3 times a week.

I'm still lacking on the protein. I'd love to hit at least 80-90 for an average. I don't/can't eat meat or poultry, but do eat fish (just leery of too much with the mercury concerns). I use/like the ON Gold Standard protein powder and mix it with almond milk to bump the protein but it really takes the place of a decent amount of food.

So...my questions...

Any suggestions for intake calories and macros?
    Is the 5/3/1 I have selected a good choice for me (I love lifting)?
    How much cardio should I do? (don't love cardio, but don't mind HIIT)

What else do you recommend. My goal is to lose 20-25 pounds, depending on how I look and feel- want much lower body fat as well (calculates at 34% now *shudder*) - would like at least 10% reduction to START.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Listing this as a note to Sara and myself for when we review this.

Intake averages from 10/8 to 10/21:

1508 calories
    175 carb
    53 fat
    66 protein

In the meantime: Do you eat dairy? Greek Yogurt is very protein dense and it also mixes well with protein powder (stir the powder in and it flavors the yogurt).

Regarding cardio, what is your tolerance/preference level for it? Do you like it? Hate it? Somewhere in between?
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Just the answers:
    *I do like Greek Yogurt. I had been eating it regularly and should start again.
    *I don't love cardio, but do some short (HIIT-like) sessions and know I should for cardiopulmonary health, but I'm not an endurance runner type person for various reasons, including I don't like it.

Explanations:
    I do eat dairy, love it and tolerate it well. I had been eating greek yogurt daily. Of course the brand I liked (chobani) was recalled for 'mold issues'. It made no one really sick, but it was when I got sick, maybe from that, maybe not, but with my GI issues...

Anyway, I have started eating Greek Yogurt again, and will remind myself to do so more regularly as I really like it.

Cardio: don'l love it, but need to do some. I have asthma, but if I do some cardio when it isn't acting up, it actually helps. If I try when I'm 'tight', I hate it. It is not my preference for my primary workout.
    So...I do a couple days a week (30 minutes each) of fast walking with jogging intervals- I use C25K for cues but am not following the program, or elliptical with fast/slow cycles.
    Several years ago, I decided I wanted to try to "run". I trained and trained and trained. I was never able to go more than 4 miles and even that wasn't easy. I don't get the 'runner's high'- I get that from lifting, and maybe my VO2max is just genetically low.

My weight seems to be trying to creep a little lower (watching the hydration) and I finally haven't been waking in the night starving with the cals near 1500.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Bumping this back to the top
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Thanks for bumping up.. Still tweaking and working on this and appreciate what you guys do. I'm cool if you want to wait/watch for a while with me and see if I'm on track BUT, if you have suggestions, I'll take those now or later- whatever you like.

Trying to get back on track here. Stalled or burned out on 5X5- 150 squat, 73 bench, 62.5 ohp, 165 deads, 80 rows. Deloaded a bit but felt like a change so switched to 5/3/1 instead. I did some of these workouts (modified for time) last week and they felt so good. I started official "week one" yesterday.
    Triumvirate for accessory

The Triumvirate
    Day 1
    Overhead Press - 5/3/1
    Dips - 5 sets of 15 reps
    Chin-ups - 5 sets of 10 reps

Day 2
    Deadlift - 5/3/1
    Good Morning - 5 sets of 12 reps
    Hanging Leg Raise - 5 sets of 15 reps

Day 3
    Bench Press - 5/3/1
    Dumbbell Bench Press - 5 sets of 15 reps
    Dumbbell Row - 5 sets of 10 reps

Day 4
    Squat - 5/3/1
    Leg Press - 5 sets of 15 reps
    Leg Curl - 5 sets of 10 reps

and used...http://www.strstd.com to formulate my workout for me. Yesterday (doing it in wrong order depending on days I can get to the gym AND get the rack when needed)- squat max was 6X135 for my last set, then did the leg presses and curls.

I'm still trying to figure out what the heck happened that I gained so much weight when I was 'off' for 2 months- gained 11 pounds!! and was sick for a good part of it, so not sure how??? I also know I wasn't 'good' about taking my thyroid medicine. So, I have to wonder if poor nutrition and low thyroid was a double whammy to my metabolism because in 2+ months of being back, I haven't lost an ounce or a fraction of an inch. (edited- maybe a 1/2 pound may be gone for real-still very slow)

I guess I just have to go with that, but I hope it recovers soon because I am maintaining or only slowly losing at 1450-1500 cals. That means I'd have to be in the dreaded 1200 range to see decent weight loss. I can't stand that. I was doing a good 1600-1700 and losing before all this happened. SIGH.

Hoping the change up in routine along with more protein and maybe some (not too much, hopefully) cardio will kick it up again.

Also, because my water varies SO much, I've started tracking that with my Tanita Ironman scale- I know the numbers may not be exact, but the trend certainly seems to correlate with how I feel and where I think I should be. These are super-low in the am, but that's when I weigh so I just use the number from then. I used to be in the 45-46 range on the water, so definitely lost muscle/gained fat during my time off/sick so I'm just using the day-to-day numbers to remind me to hydrate and to watch the trend over time.

Weight 10/24/13 153.2 lbs body water per scale 10/24/13 44.1

Weight 10/23/13 153.2 lbs body water per scale 10/23/13 43.9

Weight 10/22/13 152.1 lbs body water per scale 10/22/13 43.1

Weight 10/20/13 153.4 lbs body water per scale 10/20/13 43.1

Weight 10/19/13 153.6 lbs

Weight 10/18/13 154 lbs

Weight 10/17/13 155 lbs

Weight 10/15/13 155 lbs

Weight 10/11/13 154 lbs

Weight 10/02/13 154 lbs

Weight 09/28/13 153 lbs

Weight 09/16/13 154.4 lbs

Weight 09/04/13 154.6 lbs

Weight 08/17/13 154.3 lbs

Weight 08/09/13 153.8 lbs

Weight 06/01/13 143 lbs

Weight 05/29/13 143 lbs

Weight 05/28/13 143 lbs

Weight 05/25/13 143.6 lbs

Weight 05/15/13 144.5 lbs

I know that's a lot of stuff, but hopefully it helps if you have time to check it out.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Still just trying to figure out where I should be with calories, etc. This is one more week of data. I'm just going to try to tweak, but if at any point, you feel like you have enough info to make suggestions, and when you have the time, I will gladly hear them.

I should add that I would really like to take the weight off as quickly as is safely possible while still lifting. I am uncomfortable in my clothes, in social situations, I am so self-conscious that I cannot enjoy myself. I feel fat and gross, although feeling stronger helps a bit. I feel if I could get to a weight/size I was more comfortable with, I could then be a bit more relaxed and focus on strength and shape. I had another friend say to me yesterday that she could see I was still struggling, that I had been trying so hard for so long that I should try a cleanse and a diet that she just lost 6 pounds in 2 weeks on.... I am tired of people noticing my weight and my failure to lose it.

Weight 11/02/13 152.6 lbs (water 44)

Weight 10/31/13 152.4 lbs (water 45.7)

Weight 10/29/13 152.6 lbs (water 44)

Weight 10/28/13 152.5 lbs (water 44.4)

Weight 10/27/13 153.4 lbs (water 46.5)

Weight 10/25/13 153 lbs (water 44.3)

Weight 10/24/13 153.2 lbs (water 44.1)

(just more data points if it helps)

11/1 cals 1650, protein 83 *lifting day*
    10/31 cals 1513, protein - unsure no data on lunch
    10/30 cals 1024, protein 24 - working, no time to eat and a bit nauseous from tired
    10/29 cals 1564, protein 86 *lifting day*
    10/28 cals 1540, protein 72 (30 min walking-not fast)
    10/27 cals 1613, protein 59 (out of town)
    10/26 cals 2153, protein 61 (big day out-wine tasting and eating)
    10/25 cals 1391, protein 61 (out of town in afternoon)

This past week, food was ALL over, exercise was less than usual, calories are high and estimates are definitely more imprecise than usual with a trip to Napa, a couple long work days and Halloween festivities. I guess I was a little loose with the cals because I am trying to figure out where I am, to optimize fueling and losing...
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sara and I plan to meet tomorrow to discuss threads, just a heads up. We're slackers as of late.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Sara and I plan to meet tomorrow to discuss threads, just a heads up. We're slackers as of late.

NO rush, just record-keeping here until you are able. I've exited panic mode as the rapid and (as far as I'm concerned) undeserved weight gains seems to have stopped. Just ready to get it gone.... Whenever...and thanks.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Weight seems to be headed back up and my mood has plummeted because of the frustration- I don't look or feel any better. Doesn't seem to be that much difference when cals are calculated unless I'm not doing it right-the averaging and interpreting the results???. Sigh.

I guess I'm wondering if you can see something in there that I am not? Otherwise, looks like I'm headed down to 1300 cals or lower to lose without the bouncing up and down that I am currently seeing.

I know I'm measuring and logging diligently and accurately when I'm home. I have eaten out a lot more than usual lately (unexpected time away from home due to family medical situation), but try even then to make choices that should be fairly consistent or at least possible to ?get close on cals? I can't imagine being enough off on those situations to actually have enough of a surplus to gain weight, but something is going on so who knows.

Before this week, I had the teeniest bit of drop in measurements (fractions of half inches), but my clothes and my fat body feel the same. I, once again, find myself declining invitations to events because I don't like the way I look or feel. I look and feel as bad as I did a year ago at those same events and it's embarrassing for everyone to see my failure to improve, and it's a reminder to myself of the same failure. To have those people who did their medfast, cleanses, cardio-only diets and achieve their goals look at me with the "I told you so" look is more than I can deal with right now. Maybe it shouldn't bug me, but it does.

Have any input now? Or more time/logging/data?
    Sorry to bug you & no worries if you can't get to it.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Was your intake on 11/3 accurate at 781 calories?
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Yep. Got called to work that day unexpectedly and thought I'd only be there for a couple hours- was there for the entire day and part of the night with no free minutes and access to nothing except what was in the fridge.

There a couple other low days in there too- one was a work day, other was a dentist/crown day.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Weight 11/15/13 152.0 lbs

Weight 11/14/13 151.6 lbs

Weight 11/12/13 152 lbs

Weight 11/11/13 152.6 lbs

Weight 11/10/13 152.8 lbs

Weight 11/09/13 152.4 lbs

Weight 11/07/13 152.2 lbs

Weight 11/05/13 152.2 lbs

Weight 11/04/13 151.8 lbs

Weight 11/03/13 152.1 lbs

Weight 11/02/13 152.6 lbs

Cals. average from 11/4 to 11/14 was 1586 per day. protein average was 68 grams (still working on that).

I guess if I am not losing at this level, I need to cut to the 1200-1300 range. I really need to lose a lot of fat.

If there is a way to do this without 1200 calories and switching back to mainly cardio, please let me know.
    I did Insanity once and lost weight, but I cannot do an hour of intense cardio 6 days a week and sustain that, so I was trying to use as much lifting as possible 'cause I love it and have reasonable calorie intake so I'm not hungry and tired, but it isn't working.

If you see another option where I can focus on lifting and make this work, please advise if you have time to take a look. (sad and frustrated and still looking horrible and fat-sigh).
  • SideSteel
    Options
    We will be discussing your thread over the weekend and one of us will update.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Ultimately here is the issue:

Because you are missing your large intestine, we don't know what specific needs you may have that differ from people we normally advise. As such, the following calorie and macronutrient requirement could be off, and we would urge you to work with your physician on any special dietary needs or restrictions you may have based on your condition.

Assuming everything is "normal" and that you don't have any special needs or inherent differences in calorie/macronutrient needs, we would start you as follows:

1450 calories
    125 carbohydrate
    50 fat
    125 protein

We'd suggest doing this for 1 week and replying with an update.
  • 6550mom
    Options
    Thank you. I will do my best to hit those macros. I asked my doc and his dietitian again, and I really shouldn't have any special requirements, except, as usual, water and hydration. So, thank you so much for responding and trying to help me. I certainly understand your hesitation- it's an unusual condition/situation.

If my gut reacts to the protein load, I may have to increase gradually until I get used to it, but that is it and I will know that pretty quickly. I am a few years out from surgery and have a pretty good handle on it. I do think when I get ill (have periods of GI dysfunction caused by stress, illnesses or whatever), that my metabolic systems have been trained to be stingy and hold fat, but that is a "feeling" based on difficulty I've had with fat loss and not science, at all.

So…should I continue my lifting-dominated routine for now? I prefer that, but am not opposed to adding bits of cardio.