Your body fat percentage, your feelings about it.

SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
I'm only posting this because I've experienced this myself and also noticed a trend via PM's and occasionally in the threads.

What seems to happen is this: You get the idea in your head that you're probably X% body fat. You post in a PM to me, or to Sara, or in the estimation thread to get an estimate on your body fat. We estimate you at X+5% for example.

You then feel upset. You may even change your outlook on things and in some extreme cases it may even effect your self image.

Me posting this may not help anyone -- who knows.... but the point of this is that whatever we estimate you at, or whatever the calipers tell you, or whatever the Bod Pod tells you, doesn't change anything.

You are still the same you regardless of what the number says, and I would argue that for most people in most contexts (outside of major perception issues/BDD type things) your satisfaction about how you look in the mirror, and your goals, should be primary factors in determining your diet and exercise strategies and I don't see that changing based on a body fat estimation, most of the time.

Replies

• TyTy76
    TyTy76 Posts: 1,761 Member
    I am A LONG ways away from even having to think about this really...

But I quit the scale...

I focus on being able to run that mile faster..
    Running 30 minutes instead of 20
    Riding my bike farther
    Swimming farther

I find that this is a lot more enjoyable if I quit freaking out about numbers so much...
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Tagging to add what will probably be superfluous to the OP when not on my phone!
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    The same can be said for most numbers... It's just a damn number. There's better things to worry about. xoxo
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    so so true SS..

The scale is the first number we go to and at some point we rightly tire of that .

We have this need to quantify our progress and think we are getting better by moving past the scale to the more noble "BF%" but in many cases (myself included). We are just replacing one number with another

The move to mirror satisfaction and aesthetics is a difficult one because so many of us were big time overweight and have very very poor self image

We automatically think we are weak or ugly and lean on the number as quantifiable proof that we have made progress

getting fitter is about a number , its about being able to do more, for longer periods of duration and for a healthier life with those you love and love you

now if I could only get this into my thick skull

ive replaced the scale with 5k time.. and that's not too good either . as it gets harder to lower that time
    I have to remember. that 12 months ago.. running three miles was a pipedream ;)

that's the kind of change and smiles that go far beyond a simple number
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    The same can be said for most numbers... It's just a damn number. There's better things to worry about. xoxo

Yup.
  • catfive1
    catfive1 Posts: 529 Member
    Thanks

I've never had my BF measured and don't plan on it. When I visually see more muscle than fat I will be happy. Not there but almost.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    3si6h1.jpg

To respond seriously though, I've always thought of my BF% as 'high' and my goal BF% as 'lower than it is now'. Makes it lot easier when you judgemental meanies tell my I'm at whatever % I'm at.

I agree wholeheartedly with the OP though. If you think you're 15% or 25%, it makes no difference if you're actually 20%.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    :heart:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Good post, would bang/lick/marry 10/10.

I agree completely, it can be a tough pill to swallow but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. Having accurate information is never a bad thing.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    While I agree it's just another number, I think it is one of the few numbers that actually matter. At first it can be discouraging (maybe even slightly devastating) like it was for me, but you can either let it define you and stay discouraged or you can decide to see what you can do about improving it. Like everything negative in this world, you decide how it affects you.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    I cried after I received my DEXA bf% estimate. I laugh about it now. I am choosing to blame my lady hormones. Stupid lady hormones...

While I think a bf% goal may be better than an arbitrary weight goal, I see this becoming problematic for people as well. What is considered a healthy bf% (one below the point where evidence suggests increased health risks) is way higher than what it seems most people think (particularly when adjusting for age AND/OR fat distribution). It is so easy to get too wrapped up in any kind of arbitrary goal.

So, not only is a more accurate estimate useful SO IS more information regarding healthy goals. Vanity goals are fine, but too often people will proclaim their arbitrary vanity goal as being "healthier" than another when there is no evidence to support the claim. I think there is a wider range of healthy body fat goals than most people realize and it is really helpful to keep things in perspective. In other words, no crying after you get your average bf% estimate and it falls within the very healthy range but isn't as low as the vanity goal arbitrarily set by those around you on MFP just because you've got a lot of "junk in your trunk" :wink: .

On my DEXA report (from my doctor) the following information is given. I'll bet many people will be shocked by these ranges.

"Health Standards represent the percentage of body fat that generally does not increase your risks for health problems."

Health Standards
    Men <40 8-22%
    Men >40 10-25%

Women <40 20-35%
    Women >40 25-38%

Fat distribution matters as well, so one would want to look at Android (trunk fat) Gynoid (lower body fat) ratio and not JUST average bf.
  • V0lver
    V0lver Posts: 915 Member
    First Dexa Scan

Expectation: 30 % bf, Reality: 37.5 % bf

Second Dexa Scan ( Mind you, this time i did all the math and was "sure" about my bf%)

Expectation: 23 % bf, Reality: 28% bf :cry: :brokenheart:

What do i say ? I am amazing at deceiving myself. Its a gift.
    So yea i wholeheartedly agree with the Op
  • suziepoo1984
    suziepoo1984 Posts: 915 Member
    i am at the other extreme..i really do not care about my BF% and have not even had it measured until now. I am not aspiring for a great hot body or planning to rock a bikini, because honestly i do not wear a bikini nor do i know to swim :laugh:

My goal is to be at a place when i actually am happy/satisfied with what i see in the mirror and photos, be able to wear some nice fancy clothes without feeling uncomfortable or having to tuck my stomach in and walk around looking like i could blow up any minute! Also, i would like to keep my metabolism running high, so that i can eat all the foodz, exercise and stay the same way forever(a girl can wish right)

Yeah, thats about it :laugh:
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    I would have my bf% tested in a scientific manner such as a dexa scan or having my husband test it with hydrostatic weighing (he is a physicist). I wouldn't ask people on the internet to determine it based on photographs. I'm just not sure how that is possible.
  • Sarauk2sf
    I would have my bf% tested in a scientific manner. I wouldn't ask people on the internet to determine it based on photographs. I'm just not sure how that is possible.

No scientific manner is accurate and 'eyeballing' is often more accurate.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/830595-body-fat-estimation-methods

ETA: also, it does not change the point of the OP. Does it change your plans? Should it change how you see yourself in the mirror?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    I would have my bf% tested in a scientific manner. I wouldn't ask people on the internet to determine it based on photographs. I'm just not sure how that is possible.

No scientific manner is accurate and 'eyeballing' is often more accurate.

^ This.
  • BinaryPulsar
    I'm not trying to criticize. And I completely understand that the scientific measures are not fully accurate either. I would just think you would need to see a person in real life to eyeball and it's based on opinion. I'm just trying to understand (but perhaps I don't know enough about this method or I simply don't trust others enough). But, no it wouldn't change how I feel about myself. I honestly don't care what my bf% is. I care how I look and feel (and even then, I don't even care that much).
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    421d9.jpg
  • Sarauk2sf
    I'm not trying to criticize. And I completely understand that the scientific measures are not fully accurate either. I would just think you would need to see a person in real life to eyeball and it's based on opinion. I'm just trying to understand (but perhaps I don't know enough about this method or I simply don't trust others enough). But, no it wouldn't change how I feel about myself. I honestly don't care what my bf% is. I care how I look and feel (and even then, I don't even care that much).

And that is the point of the OP.
  • BinaryPulsar

And that is the point of the OP.

Yeah, I agree with it! It is a good point!!!