Just for Today

Options
CricketKate
CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
I once heard a very wise person say that she was just one cookie away from being 300 lbs again (she was about 150 lbs at the time). I thought that statement was a little drastic at the time. However, I have come to realize the truth of it. I followed a very rigid eating plan to lose the weight after my 4th child. But when my baby turned one, that piece of birthday cake that I ate quickly turned into 30 lbs gained. I know now that if I don't keep control of the food, it will control me. That being said, I find the thought of eating healthy for the rest of my life to be a little (okay, a lot) daunting. That's why tomorrow has become my best friend. I tell myself that I'm going to eat healthy forever, so I will enjoy one last day of treats today. Unfortunately, today has lasted for several months.

So my new mantra is "For Today". I will not think about eating healthy tomorrow (until tonight when I plan tomorrow's food). I will decide to eat healthy "for Today". When I get through today, I will recommit tomorrow, and the next day and the next. Hopefully, when I've chosen the right enough times, I will forget to have to choose, it will just be my life.

Replies

• Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    Just For Today I will keep looking forward at how far I've come... the mirror can look different everyday:grumble: ..depending on what's going on in my head.:tongue: Moving forward, not looking back... no beating myself up today!

Thanks Kate for starting us a group...that's wonderful! cheerleader3.gif I so appreciate what you do for us :flowerforyou: all:smooched:
  • mamadiamond13
    mamadiamond13 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this!! You said it so well. I really think this is what I need. Thanks!!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,972 Member
    Options
    Just For Today I will keep looking forward at how far I've come... the mirror can look different everyday:grumble: ..depending on what's going on in my head.:tongue: Moving forward, not looking back... no beating myself up today!

Thanks Kate for starting us a group...that's wonderful! cheerleader3.gif I so appreciate what you do for us :flowerforyou: all:smooched:

Love this thanks for sharing!
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is a great idea as my best intentions and plans for healthier living has always "restarted TOMORROW". Just for today I will stop cheating and saying to myself "oh I can always start again tomorrow" :wink:
  • CricketKate
    Options
    Just for Today: No Fear, Baby!
  • Navallez
    Navallez Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    New to this group and I already love it :)

Just for today I wil think about what I want to accomplish THIS day. I have been thinking about losing weight for a very long time and have not accomplished anything. So today I will eat healthy, exercise and give myself a pat on the back for doing what I sent out to do TODAY.
  • towens00
    towens00 Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    Just for today, I will be pleased I had a good day, & not let it enable a bad day.
  • CricketKate
    Options
    BestCanB has started a thread specifically for October. I would like to invite everyone who is posting here to hop over to the other thread. That way, we can keep it on one thread and continue to share our goals altogether.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1113501-just-for-today-october
  • BestcanB
    Options
    BestCanB has started a thread specifically for October. I would like to invite everyone who is posting here to hop over to the other thread. That way, we can keep it on one thread and continue to share our goals altogether.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1113501-just-for-today-october

I thought it might be a way of focussing on the moment and avoiding a long thread and that each month we could see how far we have come :smile:

Thanks so much for this group @CricketKate. I LOVE your way of thinking. It really turns the whole 'I'll start tomorrow' mentality (which I am expert at) on its head! I reckon you should patent it and write a book:flowerforyou:
  • jafabuNZ
    jafabuNZ Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Exactly. I was always stuffing it up today then saying to myself "oh well can start again tomorrow" then the same thing would happen tomorrow so I can relate to all that you said CricketKate and you said it so well! Like it :smile: What you have said and how you have said it has reinforced what I will be doing just for TODAY. Thank you!
  • GrandmaJackie
    GrandmaJackie Posts: 35,972 Member
    Options
    Just for today: I will remember how far I've come and not let the little set backs hold me down!

k3stqt.jpg
  • CricketKate
    Options
    I restarted the thread on the main boards in order to make it more accessible.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1130013-just-for-today