Vain question...lol

Ok, went to my pre-op blood work appointment today and RN said I needed a to remove the nail polish or wear lighter color. I have gel nails with the Shellac polish. I'm just wondering if anyone had any experience? Like I said vain question and I don't want there to be any issues. But if I can keep them I want to. Or wondering if I should remove altogether until after surgery? :)

Replies

• Agate69
    Agate69 Posts: 349 Member
    Many surgeons or hospitals request no nail polish. Your nail beds are very sensitive to changes in blood chemistry.. Before oximeters, the person nail bed (color) was first sign of oxygen and anesthesia levels. Some have never changed their policies. Remove the polish????
  • rubisliprz
    rubisliprz Posts: 139 Member
    Yup, I had my nails "go naked" and still have them off so that they can do the pulse oximeter checks at my follow up appointments. I am going to have them done again in a few weeks before my sons wedding! (I'm 2 months post op),
    Small concession to current vanity for a longer term big win! Fun to have you post about this though, I was tweaked about it as well!
  • DebbysJourney
    DebbysJourney Posts: 82 Member
    Thank y'all for your input. I went ahead and had them removed. The main reason I have them is I have a horrible, embarrassing habit of picking the skin around my nails. Worse habit than eating, if you can imagine. Because already I have torn my fingers up. :( I am going to make sure I keep lotion on throughout the day to keep my hands softer. Otherwise I'm afraid they will turn me away for open sores. Am I disgusting or what? :(

Thanks again!!
  • I had to remove mine, too!! I hated to do it...

Now I have stubby little nails...I hate the look so as soon as surgery is over, the nail place is going to be my first outing!!!!
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    I had my surgery Wednesday. When I went to the hospital to pre-register on Monday, they said I could keep the polish on my toes (thank goodness because it was a 2 day old pedicure!) but they said not to do my nails.