Dan John's 10,000 Swing Kettlebell Workout

Options
Lupercalia
Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
Fun stuff from Dan the Man:

https://www.t-nation.com/workouts/10000-swing-kettlebell-workout

And by fun, I mean gruelling. :wink:

Is anyone currently working on this, or planning to?

Replies

• jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the link, I need to read through it understand it a bit better but I think I am going to give this a try. I may start it on Monday. I will report back if I do.
  • jconnon
    jconnon Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I am going to give this a go starting next week, it fits in well with what I am currently doing and the time frame works for me.
    I do not have a 53lb bell so I will be using my 45# bell and my 35# for the 50 swing set until I can ramp it up. To be honest its all I can handle at the moment as I am not in good shape or strong to start with. Also I will probably do this in 5 weeks instead of four as I have two days that I have karate class and one day of rest and I will not do the routine on those days.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    Hi jconnon,

As it is written, this workout probably isn't so great for someone who isn't already in pretty good condition and has been training with kettlebells regularly. I haven't yet done the workout myself, but just looking at it I can tell that it'll be tough.

If you're determined to go ahead with this one, some modifications you might consider are resting longer than prescribed, using lighter bells, and reducing the reps if you need to, especially on those longer sets. 50 swing reps with a bell that is somewhat heavy for you isn't exactly a walk in the park, after all! No shame in modifying a routine to suit you--on the contrary, that's smart and safe training, and the best way to get stronger/healthier.
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    OK - I'm going for this. With winter coming on I tend to do more KB work and I'm prime for a new project.

Starting stats:
    Weight: 165lbs. At male 5'3" I should be around 140 lean.
    Waist: 37"
    Chest 38"

I will be back in 5 weeks to record my end stats and report how it went.

I am also doing a daily yoga session and swim twice a week. I also bodyweight strength train so I will weave these into my KB sessions as the plan describes.

See ya in 20 sessions!
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Just finished my first session of Dan John's 10K. It's ok - it's bloody hard! For the final two rounds I switched down to a lighter KB as the heavy (for me) one was causing me to go anaerobic in the core and thighs and my form was falling apart - hip snap going fluffy and the weight being carried more in the small of my back - not good - so I switched down, which was then too light.

I don't know whether to break that 50 set into 2x25 and stay heavy?
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Looking back at the article, I think there is supposed to be a rest of around 60 seconds between the 10, 15, 25 rep sets and the final 50 set and then a 3 minute rest before taking up the next cluster. That one minute rest before the 50 set could be the thing I need to keep using the same weight KB throughout. I didn't see that first time.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    OK - first session done and I found there was no way I was going to be able to do that all over again the next day so I don't think I'll be keeping to 4 sessions a week, but will be doing alternate days and the days will just switch each week. That will give me one day on and one day off to put more recovery time between sessions.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Nope - after the second session of this programme I wrenched my right lumbar after doing some gardening that involved pulling some creeping vines off a fence. I don't know if it was the kettlebell session that was too had for me or whether I just didn't consider my balance when I pulled on the vines and that is why I caused the wrench.

Whichever way, I'm not ready for this challenge and the muscle wrench will keep me off KBs for a while. sorry folks!
  • yogicarl
    Options
    edit: duplicate post.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    Just catching up with this thread...so apparently you decided the injury was in fact due to the KB swings, not when you wrenched your back doing the gardening? I'm not sure if this thread came first or the one you posted in the main forums where you said it was KB swings....

Are you feeling any better? I somehow twisted my back a few weeks ago when pulling a cord out from under the sofa. Boy, did that hurt! It ached for a few days and I was sort of concerned, but it slowly went back to normal. I think I was back up to speed within a week or so.
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    I'm starting this one today, and I'll be rotating in the suggested exercises during the rest periods. Today I think I'll press.
  • Depictureboy
    Depictureboy Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I did it for 12 sessions. working up from 35lb kettlebell 350 swings to 50lb 500 swings. The mental aspect was the hardest. I stopped though because I still didnt see much movement in the scale or my body. I may try it again in a month or so. Its better if you are doing it with someone to keep you motiveated. My partners all dropped out before 10 sessions...
  • Lupercalia
    Options
    I completed the 10k swings yesterday--20 workouts with a 20kg (44 lb.) bell. I used presses, chin ups, push ups, and squats (alternated between goblet and double 16kg front squats) as the exercises between sets. As always, I trained alone.

I definitely improved my grip strength and my conditioning--as Dan John suggested, I timed the workouts. I started out around 50 minutes/workout and finished up around 40 minutes/workout.

Core strength also improved.
  • jemmer74
    jemmer74 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am so going to do this! I have been using the Kettlebell only once a week but I have been doing 300+ swings with a 20lb and have just ordered a 35lb. I do other lower exertion exercises in between sets just as advised by this but I feel like I am just winging it will no real plan so this sounds awesome to me!
  • KHattley
    KHattley Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Certainly might give this a try. 4-5 weeks would be perfect for when I go away and I want to feel body confident in a bikini by then!! I don't know about 16kg though! I have recently started working with a 12kg in classes but only have an 8kg at home. I reckon if I do this with an 8kg as well as my classes twice a week it should be ok.