Runners with Asthma

Options
So, now that it's starting to get cooler outside I'm finding that I'm having a hard time with my asthma. Not full blown attacks, but a tightness in the chest, and a bit of wheezing and coughing. I know that when it gets cold, I'm going to start having a hard time.

Are there ways to combat this, or am I going to have to invest in a treadmill for the upcoming winter months?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    As your cardio fitness increases, you should have less of an issue with asthma. I puff my rescue inhaler before I do speed work. I also wear a neck gaiter on colder days. You'll have to figure out what works for you.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    It's the cold, not the cardio that does it. I can be standing still and still have issues with my asthma in the winter. The second I breath in cold air, bam, tightness. I could try having something over my mouth, and see if that works, but right now, it's not cold enough for something like that. It's only in the high 50s.
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Well I'm with you!
    I start about this time of year too. Once the heaters are turned on, the slightest cold air causes wheezing, coughing, etc. Bad enough that I can't sing. I've been trying to avoid the allergens as best I can.... but avoiding the trigger all together is tough when you don't have a treadmill. I plan on sticking it out. I'm curious to know how others are dealing with this too. I'll be running in -10C or less weather very soon. (14F for my friends south of the Canadian boarder).
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    I'm going to stick with it, unless it's impossible. I used to have to have my own compressor (the type at the hospital with the mask and all that), and I don't want to have to go back to that because I'm running outside. On the other hand, I don't want to fork the money over for a treadmill, either. I will if I have to, but it's not ideal.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Get a neck gaiter.
  • badwolfIO
    badwolfIO Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Hey Nickee,
    I may breakdown and buy the treadmill anyway. The roads get snowcovered and icey here. But I'm going to try to last it out with you. My first 5km is on January 1st! Hoping for a spring thaw that day. :S
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    My goodness! A 5K in January in the maritimes? Good luck! :)

The roads don't get snow covered and icy here. They get slushy and icy. And brown. And wet. Very, very wet. It's the wet cold that sinks into the bones. A friend of mine worked up in the NWT for a couple of years up in the tundra. She said she preferred the tundra winter to the winter here, because here the wetness just makes it feel yucky. There, sometimes you may have to stay inside because if you go out you'll die, but it's dry. It's a desert. While I think we only shovelled the walkway twice last year, the cold gives me that bronchial cough.

I sent an e-mail to the running clinic instructor, asking about this, and if there is anything that can be done. She said she was going to ask a doctor friend of hers for me. I'll let you know what I hear back.