Seeking Workout Feedback

Options
Good morning. I was hoping I could get some feedback on my training plan/workouts.

About me:
42m
SW: 254 (8-17-13)
CW: 230
GW: ~200

I am currently eating at 4-500 deficit. Macros are 40c/30p/30f but I rarely make my protein macro. Ive had issues getting my diet adjusted without disrupting my very non-supportive family.

I am happy with my weight loss so far.

Currently my workout plan is:

M, W, F
10m warmup cardio (ride bike to gym)
3x8 Overhand Lat Pulldown (not strong enough for pullups)
3x8 Bench Press
3x8 Squat
3x8 Row
3x8 Underhand Lat Pulldown (not strong enough for chinups)
3x8 Press
1x? Deadlift (as many as I can do with progressing weight)
10m cooldown

I increase weight on any exercise completed, increase deadlift every day.

T, TH
60-75 minutes mountain bike riding @ 14mph pace

My *plan* is to change my lifting to SS or SL as soon as I can do a few pullups properly. I have been following this plan for 2 weeks (minus a long weekend getaway last weekend so if you check my diary, disregard the bad behavior please )

I'd love to get some feedback or guidance from someone who has been where I am. Scale weight is not particularly important to me. BF% is. I'd love to get into the mid teens eventually.

Thanks!
:smile:

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Is the list of exercises written in the order which you do them?

As an aside: scale weight should also be important to you as it can be used as a proxy for fat loss assuming your plan is reasonable. With exception to the first few weeks beginning a training program, you should expect the scale to move downwards.

The scale is a very valuable metric because you can get feedback immediately and that feedback (while certainly not telling you anything about body composition) will generally be accurate if you learn to disregard fluctuations and look at trends instead.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    Is the list of exercises written in the order which you do them?

As an aside: scale weight should also be important to you as it can be used as a proxy for fat loss assuming your plan is reasonable. With exception to the first few weeks beginning a training program, you should expect the scale to move downwards.

The scale is a very valuable metric because you can get feedback immediately and that feedback (while certainly not telling you anything about body composition) will generally be accurate if you learn to disregard fluctuations and look at trends instead.

Yes, the exercises are in the order I *try* to do them in. Ive swapped the rows and squats a few times as there is only one squat cage so I have to wait.

When I say that scale weight isnt important to me I mean the actual number doesnt really matter. I understand it is a great metric and weigh every day at the same time so I can chart my progress in a pretty spreadsheet cause im a math geek. :)

ETA: I do each full exercise and then move onto the next. So 24 reps of Exercise A, then onto Exercise B.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    How long does that routine take you, just the lifting portion?
  • samammay
    Options
    How long does that routine take you, just the lifting portion?
    30-35 minutes.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    A few comments:

I don't think you need to wait until you can do pullups to start SS or SL. You can replace it (pullups/chinups) with another suitable pulling movement temporarily and as you lose weight and get stronger the pullups will come (with practice/drills as well).

If you enjoy your current routine and you want to stick with it, I'd reorder some things and consider something like this:

A

Squats
    Deads
    Bench
    Overhand Lat Pulldowns

B
    Squats
    Row
    Press
    Chin negatives or a chin-up accessory lift such as banded chins.

And rotate A/B/A etc

So M,W,F: ABA
    next week: BAB

You also have some room time-wise to potentially add in another accessory lift.

Plenty of ways to do it, but generally you're separating it out so that you're squatting twice per week, 1 heavy press each day, 1 heavy pull, and accessory work.

Additional alternative that you should consider:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=4195843&page=1
  • samammay
    Options
    Using this routine, would you change up the reps to 3x5 or 5x5? Or would you stick with the 3x8?

And thanks a lot for this. I really appreciate it.

The reason I went with this routine is because most everywhere Ive read suggested starting with a whole body workout while getting into the swing of things and cutting weight. But if you think SS would be good (im familiar with all the exercises) I'd just as soon jump into something that is proven and used by many.
  • SideSteel
    Options
    What are your goals? Are you strictly looking at fat loss/bodyfat%? Do you want to get stronger? Aesthetics?
  • samammay
    Options
    BF loss, aesthetics and stronger, in that order of priority.

I'd like *to appear* to be intimidating to my daughters future suitors. :)

ETA: *to appear*
  • SideSteel
    Options
    I would look at All-Pros and give that a try. See the link from bb.com and read that thread.
  • samammay
    Options
    Thanks very much. I'll give that a read.
  • samammay
    Options
    Just to follow up: ive been doing the All-Pro workout for 2 weeks now and am quite happy with it. My weight loss has kicked back up after a 3 week stall and the visuals are all pointing in the promising direction. Just got a tape measure and will be tracking inches lost.

One question: after doing the 5 weeks of this, would you recommend bumping weights and starting again like it suggests or moving into a SS/SL type program?
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Just to follow up: ive been doing the All-Pro workout for 2 weeks now and am quite happy with it. My weight loss has kicked back up after a 3 week stall and the visuals are all pointing in the promising direction. Just got a tape measure and will be tracking inches lost.

One question: after doing the 5 weeks of this, would you recommend bumping weights and starting again like it suggests or moving into a SS/SL type program?

I would just stick to the program and add weight to the bar as it suggests.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Locking to track active threads easier. Should you want to pose any additional questions, please PM either myself or SideSteel, including a link to this thread, and we will unlock so you can do so.
This discussion has been closed.