general thoughts on my intake

Options
Hello:

Just looking for general thougths

I am 5 ft 9 currently at about 176 lbs and about 20-21% BF per BF scale (I know its not the best but its all I have ) and my trainer agrees with this rough assessment. I am 49 yrs old. I started at 210 lbs about 14 mths ago

I was using the "Road Map" and getting my TDEE calculation from fat2fitradio, but I haven't really changed it in like 10mths. I know horrible

The number I have been using for intake all this time is 1994 cals with macros of 40C/30P/30F

I don't measure my food.. but am 95% accurate on what is in my diary (used to be better but last couple weeks I have slipped a bit cheating wise)

I was going to use Scooby's as it seemed to be simplier and I forgot all the details of figuring it out via fat2fit

But, I am stumped on the activity level

what I have been currently doing is, since I don't have an HRM using the machine or mfp numbers for cardio and then just using 1 cal for lifting in an attempt to balance it out as the cardio burns are overstated

I lift 2-3 times a week (most weeks 3 ) and do 4-5 days of running outside or treadmill for 30 to 60 min

since I sit at a desk during the day. I was going to go with 1-3 or 3-5 hrs per week

this gives me 1884 or 2123 for TDEE-20% for fat loss

so, does it really make any difference and should I just stay at 1994?

Replies

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    If you don't weigh or even measure your food, how do you know you are 95% accurate? Do you only eat pre-packaged foods? (i.e. lean cuisine/tv dinners, protein bars, etc)

And if you are using TDEE, why are you calculating your burns at all? TDEE includes exercise calories and MFP's method doesn't. That's why with MFP, you'd need to eat your exercise calories back.

Why don't you try the 3-5 days activity level (-20%) for your calorie goals and give that 4-6 weeks?. Then reevaluate and maybe take off/add 100-200 cals from that for another 4-6 weeks if it that first cal goal didn't do it for you.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I could be a decent amount off yes you are correct

I don't eat a ton of packaged stuff , I was mainly talking about the estimates of my protein.. I take the numbers off the packaging of like chicken breasts etc
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    You are very likely not accurate if you are not using a food scale. That's not a statement about you so hopefully you don't take it personally.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/872212-you-re-probably-eating-more-than-you-think

Regarding your intake, rather than worry about activity level or calculations, just tell me this:

What has your weight done in the past 4 weeks?

Open your diary if you would like specific adjustments.
  • CharliesInCharge
    CharliesInCharge Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Thanks

that's why I just asked for general thoughts. I know without measuring I have that issue.

The past 4 weeks ive fluctuated in the same 2-4 lbs area so it depends on what day you are talking

not nearly as concerned about the number on the scale as I am aesthictics.. I am getting better but still have the dreaded love handles.. I

maybe its a question of macros.. I guess I have to decide what level of fitness/aesthictics I want and the higher the level the more diligent I have to be

I do religiously log everything but again the guestimates are likely off as you clearly showed

the one thing you did bring to mind for me is not condiments but one thing I don't include and never thought about it , is the dab of olive oil I start many dishes with when cooking

My diary is open I am on your FL, but the last few days are a little atypically bad I realize

I know you are busy and I am doing pretty good just looking to fine tune, but I want to get back to you and let you know I saw your thoughts and you confirmed many things ive been thinking