New to the Wheat Belly way

Options
Hello I have just recently finished reading the Wheat Belly book and have purchased the cookbook. I was wondering what (if any) obstacles anyone has encountered.

I am also looking to expand my friends/support network in the WB community. It isn't very popular in my area and I know it is going to be a difficult transformation. I am going to need all the support I can get.

Any tips, advice or friendships would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jillymas33
    jillymas33 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm fairly new to the Wheat Belly way of life, too! I've been wheat/grain free for three weeks (tomorrow) and have seen a real difference, especially around my mid section. I don't weigh very often because I have lupus and there's no way to account for extra poundage due to inflammation but I do take measurements. I've lost 3 1/4" in my abdomen! WOOHOO! But mostly, I feel so much better!

The main advice I have for starting this diet is be prepared to menu plan and do 99% of your eating at home. You can't count on restaurants to keep you safe from cross contamination and wheat is in A LOT of stuff. The biggest obstacle I've faced is "sneaky" wheat. I read ALL ingredients on everything I pick up at the store. It won't always say "wheat" in the ingredients so read up on the code words to look for (Maltodextrose, dextrose, gluten, etc.). Also, be aware of SUGAR. Try to get rid of all added sugars and definitely be diligent about not replacing wheat/grain with super starchy veggies (potatoes, sweet potatoes, etc.) and super sugary fruits (citrus, bananas, grapes, peaches, anything "juicy", etc.). I eat a peach or a pear before I work out in the mornings and a second SMALL serving (read, 1 cup or less) of berries (low in sugar and starch) for a small afternoon pick me up. :) At dinner try to eat only lean proteins and high fiber vegetables. You don't want to go to bed and be completely sedentary while you sleep for 8 hours with very many carbs in your belly (it'll turn right to fat if you can burn it up with activity).

Stay strong and be deliberate in your food choices. Remember, it takes 4-6 weeks to completely detox. Whenever I get a serious craving I go for a walk or take a book and go to a park and remove myself from places I could grab something naughty! Also, make sure you're getting exercise! You can't expect results without moving your body.

Let me know if you need support! That's been the most important thing for me so far. :)
  • Lonapaterson
    Lonapaterson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I have been trying some of the Wheat Belly Cookbook items.
    Last night I had the Plain Focaccia Bread. It was pretty good.
    Tonight I am going to make tuna salad and spread it over a piece.

btw: Good to see you both here!
  • JMPMJ1986
    Options
    Thanks for the info Jilly .... any support would be greatly appreciated :)

So Lona ... would you be your all time favorite Wheat Belly recipe???
  • Lonapaterson
    Lonapaterson Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the convenience of the great tasting Muffin Maker mixes purchased from the wheat belly Wheat Free Market.They can be made as per the basic instructions for a quick healthy meal/snack that is delicious.
    Or... even better than that they are easily adapted as a base for any variety that you can dream up.
    For example; into the Ginger Spice mix I add some finely chopped green apple bits & cinnamon. Then when it is done and dumped out onto a small fancy dish I drizzled over top a small amount of pure maple syrup, a pinch of raisins and a light dusting of pumpkin pie spice.
    Last week I used the Choc Chip mix and over the top while it was hot I spread on 1/2 TBS of organic unsalted/unsweetened peanut butter.
    :love:
  • amyrob56
    Options
    Look for the other Wheat Free topic boards - lots of help there too.

Wheat reduced (won't say free because I do CHOOSE to eat wheat on rare occasions - mom's cookies when I visit, grandson's Birthday cupcake) but I really try hard to avoid wheat in anything I make, eat out or shop for! Since June 21 - down 22#s with little added excercise. It is not as difficult as you may think after the first week or two.

Besides the weight - the general health improvements are worth EVEN MORE!!!!
  • Aurora22
    Aurora22 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    bing
  • Angelszophia
    Angelszophia Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    wheat free today.