Sept 2013 Bench press

JeffseekingV
JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
A few years ago, I struggled with 185lbs. Eventually went to 3 sets of 8 reps. Went for a strength test and recently got 225lbs for a unassisted 3 count. Followed that up with numerous 1-2 counts. A all time best for me. Hope to get 245lbs for a 1 rep soon

Replies

• JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    A few years ago, I struggled with 185lbs. Eventually went to 3 sets of 8 reps. Went for a strength test and recently got 225lbs for a unassisted 3 count. Followed that up with numerous 1-2 counts. A all time best for me. Hope to get 245lbs for a 1 rep soon

That's great to hear. I've always struggled with my bench press as well. I guess that's why it's still my most rewarding lift when I make progress.
  • JeffseekingV
    I know what you mean. 225 used to be a magic number even for 1 rep. And most of the time it was with a spot. But now I can do it for a single even if I don't feel my best. Makes me feel like my strength/technique has improved. My weight is holding a my current low weight too. I thought I'd have to give up my "big" numbers on the bench if I choose to lose weight.
  • JNick77
    JNick77 Posts: 3,783 Member
    I know what you mean. 225 used to be a magic number even for 1 rep. And most of the time it was with a spot. But now I can do it for a single even if I don't feel my best. Makes me feel like my strength/technique has improved. My weight is holding a my current low weight too. I thought I'd have to give up my "big" numbers on the bench if I choose to lose weight.

My bench was decent at the beginning of the year and I could get 250. Then I decided to learn a new method, not because I have training ADD but I just simply like learning new ****. My bench TANKED and I struggled with 225. I got back on 5/3/1, implemented some of Jim's new stuff and my bench is back to 250. I days when I just want volume I do 225 for reps, so far I can do 7 reps. It's getting better. I would love to see 300 soon.
  • JeffseekingV
    Been able to get 225lbs for 2 clean and sometimes a 3rd w/o a spot. Or with a slight bump. No real gains but at least I'm able to hit this 225lb mark every week vs being some goal just to do one.

Need to try to do 3-4 before moving up. Or 205lbs for a few sets of 8 consistently
  • ChrisLindsay9
    ChrisLindsay9 Posts: 837 Member
    Been able to get 225lbs for 2 clean and sometimes a 3rd w/o a spot. Or with a slight bump. No real gains but at least I'm able to hit this 225lb mark every week vs being some goal just to do one.

Need to try to do 3-4 before moving up. Or 205lbs for a few sets of 8 consistently
    Nice! It's a pretty good feeling hitting a milestone, but especially so, when you're doing it for doubles and triples.

I have an acquaintance at the gym that just hit the 200ish mark in his cleans, and he's also going to wait until he can do triples without sweating about whether he'll get the third, before going up in weight.
  • JeffseekingV
    Nov 23rd Sun morning. Was able to do 225lbs for a triple w/ no spot. Finally
  • JeffseekingV
    Since the last post, I've been trying to cut the calories a bit to lose another 5lbs. Decided to cut about 150 calories per day. Results have been so so. What I've noticed that the recovery times have increased and my strength has gone down a bit.

I still can lift 225lbs on the bench have not been able to get past 3 reps and most of the time, it's been 2 or even 1.
  • JeffseekingV
    Only been able to do 205lbs for a few sets of 4-5 reps. Not impressed by this.
  • JeffseekingV
    Last week moved up to 230lbs on the bench for a smooth 1 count. This week I tried 235lbs and got it for 2 sets of 1. 1 count, rest and 1 count. Unassisted. 1st time the spotter grabbed it too early so I went again and got it w/o the spot.
  • JeffseekingV
    Still holding to 225lb bench pretty easy but not have been able to do more than 2-3.

but set a new PR on incline at 205lbs. Would be nice to get to the 2 plate club on the incline!
  • JeffseekingV
    Monday, went back to trying up my 8 rep count. got 205lbs for 6 and then 7. Not bad considering that's the first time I've tried. Goal is to hit that and then try for 215 for 8.
  • JeffseekingV
    Note. I'm back to 205lbs but only can manage 2 sets of 5.