Barbell Girl's Bulking Journal

Options
Barbellgirl
Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
I'm a 46 year old mother of three children ages 22, 20, and 13. I decided to 'bulk' in August after lifting since mid-June and having great success in reducing my body fat percentage. I had my body fat measured on June 17th by my personal trainer at the time using the seven point caliper method- it was 23%. On July 15th four weeks later it was tested again by the same person and method and yielded 20%. I continued to lift heavy and further reduce my fat down until August 30th when I believe it was in the 18-19% range.

On September 1st (weighing 112.5 pounds), I increased my calories to 1700-1800 a day which I thought was my TDEE. I started taking creatine two times a day, and casein at night before bed. On September 30th I still weighed 112.5 pounds. I discovered my maintenance calorie amount, which is a good thing.

On September 30th, I increased my calories to 2000 calories a day, 40% carbs, 35% protein, 25% fat. I go over my calories most days by around 100. To date, I have gained 1/2 pound in the month of October. I may have to further increase my calories, woohoo for more food! :)

10/4/13 Measurements

Bust: 35.25"
Chest/strapline: 31 "
Waist: 26"
Belly Button: 28"
Right Arm: 9.5"
Right Thigh: 20"
Shoulders: 38"
Neck: 13"
Hips: 35"

Photos:

9/1/13- Before increasing to TDEE at my lowest BF%

hth0gCi.jpgaSReGQH.jpg

10/1/13- Official beginning of Bulking (eating above TDEE)

wCxMztP.jpg3aEo8oe.jpg
WwPZKl0.jpguXpUV3D.jpg

10/10/13 Leg Photo- Making progress

NYyZP4H.jpg

Replies

• Barbellgirl
    Options
    This week I switched from a three day full body routine to a four day split routine (complex, chest and back, legs, shoulders and arms). Today was my first official leg day, I decided to commemorate it with a photo. :)
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! Our measurements are almost exactly the same...except the bust LOL. How tall are you?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Sounds like a great plan! Our measurements are almost exactly the same...except the bust LOL. How tall are you?

I'm 5'6".
  • TriLifter
    Options

I'm 5'6".

Me too!

ETA: But you look a lot better than I do LOL. I am so excited to gain some muscle!!!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thank you. I'm hoping to add 3-5 pounds of muscle over the next six months. That may be all I really need, it's just too early to know. :)
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Your legs and obliques look fantastic :) 5 more lbs of muscle on you and you're going to be ripped :)
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thank you very much, and I sure hope so. :flowerforyou:
  • pandorakick
    pandorakick Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    In to follow!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Bumping
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Yikes, I got on the scale this morning like I do every morning and it is another pound higher than yesterday morning 114 5 lbs. Which was a 1/2 pound more than the day before (113.5). That's a 1.5 pound increase this week opposed to my goal of gaining 1/2 pound a week.

I'm not going to freak out.....not yet anyway. My new split routine resulted in some serious DOMS this week which I haven't experienced much of lately. This extra pound is nothing more than some water retention and just a good bowel movement....that's what I'm telling myself!!! :sad: :laugh: :embarassed:

I'll be fighting the urge to do extra cardio due to the scale. Omron handheld body-fat reading today first thing in the morning (dehydrated state) was 18.9%. Yesterday's reading was 19%.
  • cmeiron
    Options
    When you get down to fine-tuning weight gain or loss I think it can be crazy-making. :sad: I'm having the opposite problem; I've been steadily going down from 132 to 130.5 in the past few days. :grumble: Am I doing it wrong? Need to eat more? Dehydrated? Too much cardio? WTF, I don't know lol. I'm going to let myself eat a little more the next few days and hopefully things balance out. But I could just as easily be up 2 lbs tomorrow too even if I keep my intake at exactly the same. I'm going to try very hard to only focus on my WEEKLY average and adjust based on that. Even then, things can fluctuate week to week. I'm going to keep plugging weekly values into a graph and aim to keep the overall trend in the right direction. The hard thing is to not overcompensate and throw things out of whack in the OTHER direction. :grumble:
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    When you get down to fine-tuning weight gain or loss I think it can be crazy-making. :sad: I'm having the opposite problem; I've been steadily going down from 132 to 130.5 in the past few days. :grumble: Am I doing it wrong? Need to eat more? Dehydrated? Too much cardio? WTF, I don't know lol. I'm going to let myself eat a little more the next few days and hopefully things balance out. But I could just as easily be up 2 lbs tomorrow too even if I keep my intake at exactly the same. I'm going to try very hard to only focus on my WEEKLY average and adjust based on that. Even then, things can fluctuate week to week. I'm going to keep plugging weekly values into a graph and aim to keep the overall trend in the right direction. The hard thing is to not overcompensate and throw things out of whack in the OTHER direction. :grumble:

I agree. I would cut back on your cardio though if you are losing. That could be working against you. I need to read up more on anabolic vs. catabolic states myself. But yes, the desire to over react and over compensate is definitely a real struggle! :frown:
  • cmeiron
    Options
    I don't THINK the cardio can be contributing too much - I really only do a couple of half-assed jogs 2-3 times a week - barely enough to get my heart rate up (though I'll occasionally do a fast 5km - but only occasionally). I wonder if maybe this is another case where my initial gains after an intake increase start to settle down again? I dunno, we'll see what the rest of the week brings before I tweak too much :P
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I'm up another 1/2 pound this morning to 115 lbs. I sure hope this weight is water or just temporary weight gain. Trying to stay positive. :sad:
  • cmeiron
    Options
    Breathe... :wink:
  • TriLifter
    Options
    Don't fret... if it's not water, I'm sure it'll even out soon... but it probably is water. How often are you weighing on?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I weigh every day. It's not typical for me to have such wide swings in my weight. I have been eating about 100-200 calories more each day than I'm supposed to. I may just need to add some cardio back in......because I'd rather do that than eat less. :laugh:
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    In to follow- hear you with that water weight! Keep your head up! :)
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I'm totally with you on adding more cardio vs. eating less. When I started on this site I was doing 1390/day plus exercise calories. How the hell did I survive???
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    I'm totally with you on adding more cardio vs. eating less. When I started on this site I was doing 1390/day plus exercise calories. How the hell did I survive???

I don't know. You were running a lot at that time too weren't you?

I started at around 1300 calories myself luckily it wasn't long until I bumped it up to 1500. Now I'm eating 2200 (yep I keep going over my goal lol) and wanting more. :laugh: