Barbell Girl's Bulking Journal

Options

Replies

• TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm totally with you on adding more cardio vs. eating less. When I started on this site I was doing 1390/day plus exercise calories. How the hell did I survive???

I don't know. You were running a lot at that time too weren't you?

I started at around 1300 calories myself luckily it wasn't long until I bumped it up to 1500. Now I'm eating 2200 (yep I keep going over my goal lol) and wanting more. :laugh:

In the beginning (I started in 2010 after my son was born) I didn't do ANY workouts, just dieting. I wish I could go back and slap that version of me!
  • sarahstrezo
    sarahstrezo Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't panic just yet. It's very common to put on a few lbs in the first few weeks while our bodies adjust. In fact....that weight is most likely a combo of water/glycogen stores. It will level out.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    In to follow, gosh your legs are amazing.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't panic just yet. It's very common to put on a few lbs in the first few weeks while our bodies adjust. In fact....that weight is most likely a combo of water/glycogen stores. It will level out.

I agree with this. I remember when I started my bulk last year I had 4 pounds find me over night then things settled down. The mind**** is the hardest part of a bulk cycle.
  • Barbellgirl
    Barbellgirl Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Thank you ladies. I'm doing much better. Today I was at 114 lbs and my Omron said 18.7% bodyfat first thing this morning which I think is low despite being in a dehydrated state. It's hard not to get concerned but I've made more of an effort to stay within my calorie goal these last few days. I think it was a double whammy of not doing cardio and exceeding my calorie goal that my body was trying to figure out. :)
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    ive put on 6 pounds since I started getting serious three weeks ago, I'm sure a few of the pounds is the creatine. I'm crossing my fingers that it's just a stabilization thing while I adjust to the new weight program and my increase in calories. I do notice that after hard and sore workout I put on a pound or two probably water retention to help heal my muscles.
  • a_vettestingray
    a_vettestingray Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Is the mental adjustment getting any easier?
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Yes, I'm actually doing much better. I'm excited for next Monday. That will be the four week point and I'll be taking new pictures and measurements, etc. :wink:
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    Yes, I'm actually doing much better. I'm excited for next Monday. That will be the four week point and I'll be taking new pictures and measurements, etc. :wink:

That's great!!!
    I can't wait for my 4 week mark to do my measurements and pics as well :)
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Bulking accountability post

I've been eating at a 200-300 calorie a day surplus for four weeks today. I managed to gain 1.5 lbs. My goal was 1/2 lb a week so I didn't quite hit my 2 lb goal. I was at 114.5 or up two pounds a few days ago when I decided to stop taking creatine. I think that is the reason for the 1/2 pound drop, and my trainer agrees that stopping creatine can result in a quick water weight drop.

My body fat measurement with my handheld Omron has varied from 18.2 to 19.7% when taken first thing in the morning. Three point caliper testing puts me at 16.83 % so I feel confident that my body fat is staying around the 18-19% range.

The only measurements that changed are the following in inches; bicep +1/4, calf +1/4, ribcage +1/8, shoulder +1, thigh +1/4, waist and belly button -1/4. All other measurements stayed the same.

I'm proud of my delts which are growing and my lats are starting to as well. ????????????

I'll add the pictures I took today very soon.
  • HMVOL7409
    HMVOL7409 Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    I think your stats are perfect and well balanced! You got this!
  • yogaga1
    yogaga1 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Doing great! Nice job on delt growth. Can't wait for mine!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Here are the pics taken yesterday. I can definitely see the shoulder growth in my delts and my legs seem bigger, waist is staying the same if not smaller according to the measurements. All good signs. I wish I would have gained more weight though. I'm increasing my daily calories from 2000 to 2200 since I'm not gaining at the desired weight, and I stopped taking creatine.

XILyn0h.jpg

I had a really hard time getting a back picture, so all you can really see is one half of my back flexed. I'm just not that coordinated I guess. :laugh:

DxEXmrS.jpg
    k5EX2MH.jpg

Delts! WooHoo!

JMmmbSx.jpg
    fYW8Vyk.jpg
  • TriLifter
    Options

I agree with this. I remember when I started my bulk last year I had 4 pounds find me over night then things settled down. The mind**** is the hardest part of a bulk cycle.

I think that's what I'm seeing in myself as well.
  • fivethreeone
    fivethreeone Posts: 8,196 Member
    Options
    Here are the pics taken yesterday. I can definitely see the shoulder growth in my delts and my legs seem bigger, waist is staying the same if not smaller according to the measurements. All good signs. I wish I would have gained more weight though. I'm increasing my daily calories from 2000 to 2200 since I'm not gaining at the desired weight, and I stopped taking creatine.

XILyn0h.jpg

I had a really hard time getting a back picture, so all you can really see is one half of my back flexed. I'm just not that coordinated I guess. :laugh:

DxEXmrS.jpg
    k5EX2MH.jpg

Delts! WooHoo!

JMmmbSx.jpg
    fYW8Vyk.jpg

Wow, your muscles are looking amazing! In to follow your bulk.
  • sarahstrezo
    Options
    You look amazing and your measurement increases are perfect!
  • Barbellgirl
    Options
    Thank you ladies, I'm really pleased with everything with the exception of my weight gain. My trainer wants me to bump up to 2100 calories and have two cheat meals (go over by about 300 calories) two days a week. So hopefully that will help me gain more. :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • SonyaCele
    SonyaCele Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    wow you are looking great, i can really see the definition in your shouders and back! it sounds like everything is going perfectly.
  • ssaraj43
    ssaraj43 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Great progress. Thanks for sharing the pics. Definitely see it in arms and back:drinker:
  • TriLifter
    Options
    I've been doing a couple of higher cal days...not on purpose :grumble: and gained "only" .8 lbs in one week, so it's all good. Let me know how it goes for you!