Shin Aches After Less Running ??

Options
mheebner
mheebner Posts: 285 Member
So knowing I shouldn't have, I pushed myself twice in W7 D1 and D2 to run the entire 5k. I felt great, my legs felt great so I did it and had absolutely no issues. However I am also doing the Stronglifts 5x5 program alternating with my C25K program, and I was kind of sore the last few days from squats and deads. Because of this for W7 D3 I decided I would just run the program, 25 min. Oh man, my shins were sore, and today they are pretty sore, almost to the point of shin splint pain. Does this make sense to anyone ? How can I run longer and farther with no problems, then scale it back to just 25 min (I think it was only 2.75 miles total) and have achy legs ?

Did I push too hard earlier and it just didn't show up till I did D3 ? Is this a thing that just sometimes happens ? I think I am going to have take 3 or 4 days off before going ahead with W8. Just irritated that I cant continue. Shouldn't I be past these issues at this point in the program ?

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Shin splints usually go away. You figure out how to avoid them and your muscles get stronger. The one question I have is: are you reaching out ahead of you with your feet to try and go faster?
  • mheebner
    Options
    I don't think so. I think I am still landing mid foot, and still going at a pretty slow pace so my feet stay 'underneath' me more.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Your running form might have been affected by the strength training. After leg day sometimes I can hardly walk, let alone run properly. Did you run a different course, or add hills? Could also be footstrike as Varda inquired about. I used to think I wasn't heel striking until I took the Good Form Running class. When I'm tired my form goes to heck. Also work on calf strengthening if you haven't been already. Your calves & shins are a push/pull arrangement and pain in one usually means a weakness in the other.
  • mheebner
    Options
    I am on a treadmill yet so my path is still the same...ha. I guess it does seem coincidental that the day after squats and deads I am having issues with my legs. Maybe I will have to schedule an extra rest day in between or maybe jump on an elliptical those days instead or something. I have been doing some calf raise assistance exercises but only once a week. maybe I will bump those up to twice a week or more.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I usually do legs on Friday and totally rest on Saturday. I need that rest day before doing my long run on Sunday. For calves I use a squat machine and do three variations of raises - toes outward, toes straight, and toes inward. I don't go really heavy on the weight and do 15 slow reps followed by 10 explosive reps.