Bunions?

Options
homesweeths
homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
I read recently a paleo testimonial about someone whose serious bunion went away completely. Has anyone here experienced that?

I mean, I know a bunion is basically a swollen joint. I've known people who've had bunion surgery. I just avoid tight-fitting shoes and hope mine don't get worse. It would be really nice to be able to hope that my big toe joints would go back to normal, or at least trend in that direction, as I keep following this way of eating.

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    I don't have experience with bunions, but I do have experience with joint problems. When I went Primal in August 2012 the only health issue that lingered was painful joints, specifically my knees. I have had knee problems all of my life. The cartilage would get irritated and break off, and I would get water on my knee. A lot of pain, all my life. Anyway, early last December I suddenly noticed that I had no pain in my knees. So strange, and so awesome. I decided to look at my food diary to see if there was something I had done differently. Interestingly, I had not eaten any nightshades for two weeks. That's very unusual because I ate tomatoes and/or peppers daily. Of course i ate a lot of potatoes pre-Primal as well. So after observing that the absence of nightshades coincided with no knee pain, I have limited them carefully ever since. I only eat tomatoes and peppers in small amounts and not every day. It's been enough to be pain free ever since. I can do squats, lots of them, but couldn't ever do them before.

Anyway, that's my direct experience that nightshades affect my joints. I can't speak directly to bunions.
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    Thanks, that's encouraging. I've had a lot of relief to my joint pain, so much so that I actually tried potatoes last weekend -- bad idea, as it turned out. I'm still achy, but getting better.

I also wonder if my joints hurt more at present because I haven't been getting enough sleep.

That said, I'm turning off the computer and heading to bed to read an actual book (as opposed to a screen) for 30 minutes or so, and then it's lights out...
  • primalkiwi
    primalkiwi Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I've not heard anything specific about bunions and paleo but in the last few days I've been looking at getting some new barefoot shoes so I've been reading a fair few reviews online and I've seen comments from reviewers about how barefoot (and close to barefoot) shoes (i.e New Balance Minimus, Vibram Fivefingers etc) has improved their bunions. Like Akimajuktuq has said, reducing inflammation in your body by removing grains, sugar etc and paying attention to how you react to nightshades is also highly likely to result in an improvement in joint pain.
  • Howbouto
    Howbouto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    About 5 years ago, I was developing bunions. I was about 50 pounds heavier than I am now and very inactive. I also drank about 6 to 12 cans of diet coke a day and ate tons of processed foods. I started buying very supportive shoes (albiet ugly). My doctors suggested I get orthotics. I didn't want to shell out $400.00 so I tried a pair for $30.00 over the counter ones (phase one, I think.) Between the shoes and the orthotics, I was mostly pain free but if I would wear sandals I would in a lot of pain. I did notice the more exercise and activity I did the less my bunions hurt. So I started walking and exercising. About 3 years ago, I stopped drinking diet coke (I'm not sure if this has anything to do this it) and started experimenting with clean eating. I never really ventured away from my orthotics and supportive shoes though. May 2012, I started running and November 2012, I started playing with paleo/primal eating. Sometime, last winter I took the orthotics out of my shoes, I didn't have any problems. This summer I wore sandals the whole summer. No problems. I still have the bumps on the sides of my feet but no joint pain. I can't tell you if it is diet, exercise or the fact I allowed them to have support and the healed, but they have been pain free for a while now.