Help - Arm balances

Options
odonogc
odonogc Posts: 223 Member
Hi Everyone,

I had noticed in the last week or two that I was having a lot of trouble with my arm balances, and things I had been progressing in were really hurting my triceps. Well, I finally noticed this morning before I got in the shower, that I have huge bruises on the back of both arms where my triceps are!

Any thoughts on what I am doing to cause this?

Thanks!

Replies

• Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    No idea. But that sounds painful :( Do you tend to bruise easily?
  • odonogc
    Options
    Yeah, I do kind of. Not crazy bad, but I'm usually rocking a couple on my legs, lol.
  • odonogc
    Options
    The funny thing is, I think I was blaming my flu shot for the pain for like a week!
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options
    Are you placing your knees quite heavily on your triceps, for example in Bakāsana?

I think I tend to stay longer in the pose in a raw state when I am trying to get a feel for the balance and using more brute strength to hold the pose, including pressing my knees into my triceps to try to hold the position, which you may be doing and causing bruising.

Once you become more proficient in the pose, you will use less isometric strength to hold the pose so you won't be pressing in so hard and the bruising will clear.

That's my take on it.
  • odonogc
    Options
    Are you placing your knees quite heavily on your triceps, for example in Bakāsana?

I think I tend to stay longer in the pose in a raw state when I am trying to get a feel for the balance and using more brute strength to hold the pose, including pressing my knees into my triceps to try to hold the position, which you may be doing and causing bruising.

Once you become more proficient in the pose, you will use less isometric strength to hold the pose so you won't be pressing in so hard and the bruising will clear.

That's my take on it.

Thanks Carl.

I sent a message through FB to one of the Yoga Glo instructors I adore and she wrote back! Very similar to what you said.

totally normal. it's the weight bearing on the arms. . .this will go away as you get more control in your core and upper back. until then, they're badges of honor:)
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,784 Member
    Options
    Badges of honor! :laugh:

I get them all the time when I'm working on new poses - lately in Eka Pada Bhujasana because I'm squeezing so hard with the leg.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I've been doing crow for years and just went through this. But I'm working on pulling my knees in closer together and using more core so I can jump back slowly instead of kicking my legs back. The result is that I have those bruises on the backs of my arms too, just from the additional amount of time spent in this pose all of the sudden and trying to get my knees into different spots (higher/closer in to center). They seem to be going away though - I think your body adapts after a while.
  • odonogc
    Options
    Thanks everyone!