First half marathon completed!

PixieAdele
PixieAdele Posts: 102 Member
Hi everyone! I finished my first half today on behalf of kidney research uk! My time was 2hrs 11mins 30secs I'm really pleased with the time, a whole 3mins faster then my practice run!

I feel alright in general but there is a severe soreness in my left thigh at the back. The soreness doesn't feel muscular, it's painful to touch and sitting on it is painful. It sort of feels like a huge bruise. The location is the very top of my thigh at the back sort if where my buttock ends and my thigh begins, and also runs into the higher part of my inner thigh but not my groin.

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? I hope it's just because of the distance ran and it will settle down in a few days as I recover.

The weather was very rainy, and quite windy and cold, I don't know whether this is significant or not.

Thank you!

Adele

Replies

• michellersalo
    michellersalo Posts: 60 Member
    Congrats on an awesome time for your half!!!

As far as that pain goes... I had it early in my training, it is more than likely tendonitis of some sorts (hamstrings connect in the general location). Get some ice on it and back off of the running for about 1-2 weeks (I know- too hard to do). If you have access to KT Tape, there is a taping technique that works quite well but you will need someone to help you with it.

Good luck!!!!
  • schmenge55
    schmenge55 Posts: 745 Member
    Congrats on your half!!!!!!!!!!!!! As the previous poster said, likely some tendinitis, probably hamstring. I would ice it good a couple times a day and you should be fine
  • PixieAdele
    Thank you for your advice. I'm off work today (planning ahead for tiredness!) so I will ice and rest. I am planning on taking a fairly long break from running now to make way for weight training next week.

Thanks again
  • Hiccup62301
    Hiccup62301 Posts: 14 Member
    Congrats on completing your first half marathon!!!!
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Hi everyone! I finished my first half today on behalf of kidney research uk! My time was 2hrs 11mins 30secs I'm really pleased with the time, a whole 3mins faster then my practice run!

Flipping fast! What a great race. You should be very pleased with the time. I think the advice you received on the hamstring is pretty good. Just rest, apply some ice, and you should recover nicely.
  • PixieAdele
    Hi everyone,

Thank you for your advice, pain has completely healed now, hardly any aches or pains left only 2 days on, unlike my boss who is still hobbling around lol.