Suppliment opinions?

Options
Catman50
Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
Hi,
Ok I initially I wanted to loose some weight and buff up a couple of months ago and try to strengthen my core from a back injury. So I started sorting out my diet and I brought some Whey protein, BCAA, Glutamine & L- Carnatine as part of a package from the Local GNC in town. Yeah I know its expensive but I just wanted to get started and get going. I started with some back stretching exercises at home and as I improved added some press-ups to it. After a month or so I decided I needed to join a gym to progress & id like to add muscle too.

Im about to start my 3rd week at the gym. My Protein, BCAA and Glutamine had run out so I started to look at suppliments. I brought new Whey protein and after complaining to a friend about how much my muscles ached he told me to get some Creatine which I did. So im looking at what other supplements I may be worth getting. Been doing some reading and I was thinking about these.

I need to get some more BCAA's and I was thinking of adding
L Glutamine,
Taurine,
Beta Alanine.

Any thoughts ? anyone tried these ? worth getting or a waste of ££ ?
Any imput or advice appreciated.
Cheers
Steve

Replies

• Numbah_5x
    Options
    I used to compete way back in the day.

Honestly, Creatine gives me headaches. I would hold off on the supplements and focus on getting a strong consistent weightlifting routine and diet. Most of them are not really effective until that's in place. Whey protein is good because its really hard sometimes to get enough especially if you work. I gram per pound body weight is good place to start. Eating right will make the most difference.

Teresa
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I would hold off on the supplements and focus on getting a strong consistent weightlifting routine and diet. Most of them are not really effective until that's in place.

Yep. Creatine will be a small factor. Diet and consistent hard training are much more important.
  • Catman50
    Catman50 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thx guys,

Yeah im pretty much sticking to a good diet nowadays. Sometimes my fitness pal has gaps in it where im just too tired to fill it out or my girlfriends made something healthy and I cba to dissect it to input it here. But I know ive been good anyway. My weekend are a problem as I tend to work a lot Marshalling @ a local airsoft site. Too busy once I leave the house & available food is junk food. So weekends im trying to address this, Sandwiches etc (weekends are a work in progress). I need to buy some protein bars etc as im stuck in the woods.

Im doing 3 days a week
    Mon Back + chest,
    Wed Legs + shoulders,
    Friday Biceps + triceps.

Luckily enough the instructor at the gym has been my personal trainer every session so far. I have plenty of time in the day atm & he says it helps to break up his day too so its a win all round :D
    I used to live in the gym for years when I was younger and returning I realise how much I like the feeling after 15+ years away.
    Im pushing hard and like the way its going so far. Rome wasn't built in a day & im feeling much better about the coming winter knowing i'll have the gym to go to!
    I still need to work out my correct macro's as I just guessed the figures I have atm

Thx for the input & Teresa you look great, I woulda said ya younger than me !!
  • MrGonzo05
    Options
    Im doing 3 days a week
    Mon Back + chest,
    Wed Legs + shoulders,
    Friday Biceps + triceps.

This is a list of body parts, not a program. This infrequent training of the muscles is also the reason you are getting sore still. It's going to take years to get anywhere.

I am not a fan of splits for a novice. It's better than nothing, but does not beat the results and time efficiency of a full body program.

A good 3x a week full body program will give you faster results. Specifically, consider running either SL 5x5 or ICF Novice 5x5. Learn how to do the lifts safely and consistently follow the program. Also, a program is more than a list of exercises, and reps and sets. Get to know it.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    The majority of supplements are a waste of money.

google: foods high in "nutrient"

example:
    http://suppversity.blogspot.com/2010/08/taurine-from-foods-can-i-be-taurine.html

Some of the best foods for those amino acids are: cheese, chicken, beef, pork, fish, avocado, milk, yogurt, raw vegetables, chocolate, oatmeal, and eggs.

Spend your money on high quality food rather than supplements.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Products like Purple Wraath BCAAs and C4 pre-workout have beta-alanine. C4 has a little bit of creatine in it.

Protein supps have BCAA's in them as does food in general. Hydro Whey has creatine in it. You can try and figure out if you're getting enough of those things you want through other supps you might already be ingesting and food. If you still find you want more of something, then you can add it.

Just my opinion. Lots of products are hybrid with so much stuff in them. Worth checking.

ETA: I :heart: supplementation and trying new products. I do try to get most of my stuff from food, but with protein, it's a challenge for me.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Im doing 3 days a week
    Mon Back + chest,
    Wed Legs + shoulders,
    Friday Biceps + triceps.

This is a list of body parts, not a program. This infrequent training of the muscles is also the reason you are getting sore still. It's going to take years to get anywhere.

I am not a fan of splits for a novice. It's better than nothing, but does not beat the results and time efficiency of a full body program.

A good 3x a week full body program will give you faster results. Specifically, consider running either SL 5x5 or ICF Novice 5x5. Learn how to do the lifts safely and consistently follow the program. Also, a program is more than a list of exercises, and reps and sets. Get to know it.

That's an acceptable bodybuilding split. He works his whole body in a week. I began with bodybuilding splits. If he's doing compounds in every workout and training those pyramid style, he's still building strength.

Stronglifts is a good program for strength building, but it's nothing but compounds. I couldn't train like that forever, especially after success on bodybuilding splits for so long.
  • MrGonzo05
    Options
    Yep. ICF novice 5X5 is better than SL for overall hypertrophy and bodybuilding. But the big three lifts have their place in bodybuilding. I wouldn't exclude them. A lot of bang for the buck. I have to make minutes count while in the gym.

A split that only trains a muscle once a week is going to give slow results.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Creatine and maybe some protein if you're having trouble eating enough.

If you have trouble with energy, pick up a preworkout.

BCAAs and Glutamine are a huge waste of money.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    This all depepnds on what your eating, and how many calories you are consuming. If you are on a bulk, and at a calorie surplus, you don't really need BCAA's, and if you are already getting enough protein from your diet you don't need the shake either. If you consume a lot of red meat there is a chance you don't need a lot of ceatine either.
    Now if you are on a deficit, then BCAA's, and Creatine are great suppliments, and most BCAA's have the other stuff mixed in with it. If you aren't hitting your protein goals through food then a shake is a quick easy way to get it, and some of them have all three suppliments in it already like Body Fortress, already has BCAA's, and 3 grams of creatine in each scoop, as well as those other things you are looking for. Your best bet for gaining strength though is giong to be your diet, and compound lifts, and as long as you are doing those in your current routine you should be fine.