Books, Programs, Lectures That Have Helped You?

Options
What are some resources/strategies you've found helpful in understanding and controlling the urge or binge or emotionally eat?

**I'm going to share some tools I've found over the years that have been helpful to me. I don't work for anyone below. I am sharing links for informational purposes only.**

Emotional/Binge Eating is something that I had been doing for a long time felt like I could never do anything about it. I didn't even have the courage to tell anyone about it (It's only recently that I've told friends about the full extent of my binging or even had the courage to go on myfitnesspal, join this group and post a topic) However, one day I got really angry at the fact that I was letting brownies, ice cream, cheesecake, twix, and cake frosting run/ruin my life and I started researching.

First I found "A Weigh Out" by Ellen Shuman (http://aweighout.com). I actually worked with Ellen and started seeing things like the link of emotions and food, for the first time on the conscious level. It was really eye opening, but also scared me to death. At that point I couldn't give up the food. In truth I would need *years* to digest this information (forgive the pun).

The binging was always on my mind because I was stuck in a loop of engaging in it, hating myself, or trying to figure out a way to understand and "fix" it.

A few years after my work with Ellen I came across a book called "Shrink Yourself" by Dr. Gould. I went to his site: http://www.shrinkyourself.com and did the on-line course. He's a medical doctor so I liked the more scientific approach to binge eating/emotional eating. However, I kept right on binge eating, but not as often or as violently (literally shoving things into my mouth/hurting myself/crying while eating) like I did before.

I felt like I was making progress, but it wasn't the whole picture.

A year or so after that I found books by Geneen Roth. I really responded to her writing because the first one I picked up was a partial memoir. I nodded my head and laughed and cried through the whole book. I definitely felt like, "Here's a woman who GETS IT!" Her site is: http://geneenroth.com/books1.php (The books I read include: "Breaking Free From Emotional Eating," "Feeding the Hungry Heart," and "When Food is Love."). Roth does lectures and courses in person, but I've never attended them.

After reading the Roth books I did the exercises and really tried putting her strategies in practice. I have been working hard for many, many years, and I am not perfect, but for me it is worth it to try to understand this behavior and (hopefully) stop it.

Does anyone have any other books, web-sites, youtube channels, on-line courses, real life (gasp) items they've had success with?

Replies

• brithemp
    Options
    I read "Food: The good girl's drug" by Sunny Sea Gold, and found it to be incredibly relatable and inspiring. The book offers a lot of tools and walkthroughs on how to get your stuff together, and it really shows you that binge eating, emotional eating, and overeating about not issues you have to far alone. I highly recommend it, and the exercises that go along with it.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Brithemp-

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll check it out.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    I have also done the: http://www.shrinkyourself.com online course, and about a year after completing it the first time I did it again. My life was even more out of control at that point and I only made it part way through the course, but I think it was really helpful. I really should have printed out my responses from the course to keep with me for the darker moment. I have also read Geneen Roth, "Feeding the Hungry Heart" it was a good book, but I don't think it made a huge impact for me and the way I eat. Something that does help me personally is practicing yoga. If I have a crappy day and manage to practice yoga before binging, I'm less likely to binge. I wish I actually had some other resources to share, and I would love to hear if anyone else has some resources.
  • divainsneakers
    Options
    Funny you mention that. I used to do Iyengar yoga and loved it. It focused on poses, meditation and relaxation (I remember laughing at my annoyed instructor who looked at other yoga classes and said, "Leave it to Americans to turn yoga into a competitive sport!). I am thinking of picking it up again.

I don't know about you, but I felt like yoga connected me to my body in some ways that I never was before. I felt to do those poses I really had to be in the moment (as to not fall over) as well as look at myself (there were mirrors everywhere in the studio).
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Me too, love Geneen Roth's books, especially "Women Food and God".

Another book that was an eye opener for me was "Fat is a Feminisit Issue", by Susie Orbach, I think everybody should read this (thin people too!). It gives a good descriptoin of underlying causes that could keep us fat. It's from 1978, but is still current.
  • Masonless
    Masonless Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Made to Crave is a good book. Thank you for sharing this information. I am going to check out some of your suggestions.
    Blessings to all.
  • divainsneakers
    Options
    Miss Nordic-

I've heard of "Fat is a Feminist Issue," but I never picked it up because I thought it might be outdated. Thanks for giving it the vote of approval.

Masonless-

I've never heard of "Made to Crave." I'll definitely check it out. Thanks.
  • Roaringgael
    Roaringgael Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Jon Gabriel's The Gabriel Method. Good food for thought.
    He also has a web site with lots of helpful information. I have his 21 days meditations that I listen to constantly - a great resource.

"Weightloss for Food Lovers" by Dr George Blair-West - he also has a website. Excellent practical advice on how to change your eating habits for life.

Over-eaters Anonymous a 12 step group founded in 1960 and based on AA's programme. Has physical/spiritual/emotional component to it. Its good to know you are not alone.

This fantastic website and all its participants.:love: