Carbs made me look bigger overnight?

Options
graysmom2005
graysmom2005 Posts: 1,882 Member
Is this possible? Is my mind messing with me? I had a carbRIFIC day yesterday and Saturday. I mean way WAAAAAYYY more carbs than I ever eat. This morning, I swear I look bigger ALL over. Soft and literally bigger in the thighs, arms, waist..etc. Is that glycogen/water in the muscles? I didn't weigh myself this morning as that would have been mean...I'm talking pizza, cheesecake, cookies, bratwurst, soft pretzel, strudel (Oktoberfest and pig out fest with husband). I feel absolutely disgusting. I can't decide if I'm looking for the fatness or whether the carbs really make a big overnight difference. Anyone else seen this?

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Probably a little bit of everything, especially if your profile pic is remotely recent.

If you're really low carb for a while, then "carb up," your body refills your glycogen stores, which add mass (because they also hold a lot of water). Additionally, some sources of carbs may make you bloated. These things will be more pronounced on a lean body.

Plus, you feel bloated, so your mind will tell you that you look at bloated as you feel, regardless of whether you really are.

No worries, get back to your usual diet, and it will go away within a few days.
  • _noob_
    _noob_ Posts: 3,306 Member
    Options
    I always look better (muscle definition/size) the day after a good binge.
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    I always look better (muscle definition/size) the day after a good binge.

wanna pass some of that my way? :laugh:
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    Probably a little bit of everything, especially if your profile pic is remotely recent.

If you're really low carb for a while, then "carb up," your body refills your glycogen stores, which add mass (because they also hold a lot of water). Additionally, some sources of carbs may make you bloated. These things will be more pronounced on a lean body.

Plus, you feel bloated, so your mind will tell you that you look at bloated as you feel, regardless of whether you really are.

No worries, get back to your usual diet, and it will go away within a few days.
    I'm not REALLY low carb. Probably on average 75g a day. But yeah, my entire body looks swollen soft. No bueno!
  • epcooper
    epcooper Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always look and feel really swollen the day after a carb binge. It's just water, and it usually takes 2-3 days for it to go away. It's nothing to worry about. :smile:
  • GiGiBeans
    GiGiBeans Posts: 1,062 Member
    Options
    Extra carbs or extra sodium and I feel like the gel cushioning in my sneakers. Especially my belly. :ohwell:
  • Rei1988
    Rei1988 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Extra carbs or extra sodium and I feel like the gel cushioning in my sneakers. Especially my belly. :ohwell:

Same here too
  • graysmom2005
    Options
    It's now 3 days after said carb explosion and I'm still up 4 pounds. Was only brave enough to hop on the scale this morning! I dread to think what Monday would have looked like!