How do you record c2k5

Options
Hello, I just started week 1 and wondering how others are recording this exercise? I simply posted a 5 min walk @ 3mph and then 25mins walk @ 5mph. I'm not a stats guy, I round and don't care for the exact as much as I would like to get in the general ballpark.

Also, any tips on how to stretch my shin muscles? BURN!!!

Thanks,
Chet

Replies

• PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    My treadmill and Garmin watch both record my calories burned and I just use that number. If I were guestimating, I'd add up my walking times and my running times and do exactly what you're doing (putting the walks down as a slower walk & the runs as a quicker walk). If you're "eating back" your exercise calories, 25 minutes at 5mph may be too high for the first few weeks of C25K when you're walking more than running.

Welcome to C25K!
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    the rundouble app uploads each run to their website.
  • mfarmer88
    mfarmer88 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    awesome news! They've connected with myfitnesspal! At the end of each run, it'll prompt you to log it on myfitnesspal :) Finally!
  • cjohn2278
    cjohn2278 Posts: 65 Member
    Options

Also, any tips on how to stretch my shin muscles? BURN!!!

Thanks,
    Chet

If you do a forum search on shin splints you will find a lot of great links to stretches you can do for your shins...I had horrible pain when I first started and then started stretching after my warm up before the run and then again when I was all done and I have no pain anymore...took about a week for the soreness to go away!!

Good luck!

CJ
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    I always used a HRM and just created an exercise for C210K and then logged in the calories that way. I didn't want to have to record multiple times for the walk/runs. I found that once I logged it with HRM calories a few times, the app can pretty accurately calculate your calorie burn even if you forget your HRM.

For your shins, make sure you are wearing proper shoes for running and that what you're using isn't too old (i.e. too many miles on them). One way to stretch your shins is to put a towel on the floor and scrunch it up with your toes. Keep repeating as much as you need.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I used the average pace for the entire walk/run.

Shinsplints
    "Shinsplints" refers to medial tibial stress syndrome, an achy pain that results when small tears occur in the muscles around your tibia (shin bone). This makes up about 15 percent of running injuries; 10 percent of runnersworld.com respondents poll had shinsplints in the past year.

WHO'S AT RISK?
    Shinsplints are common among new runners and those returning after an extended layoff. They're a sign that you've done too much, too quickly, Dr. Price says. Shinsplints strike runners wearing the wrong shoe or a pair with too many miles, and those with high arches or flat feet.

CAN YOU RUN THROUGH IT?
    When the first twinges of pain strike, back off your running to a comfortable level for a few days to a week, then slowly up your mileage using the 10 percent rule (no more than 10 percent increase per week). Bike, pool run, and swim.

REHAB IT
    Rest, ice, and ibuprofen can ease the pain. Though conventional wisdom has preached calf stretching as a way to rehabilitate shinsplints, there's little evidence that helps, Price says. Taping the shin with Kinesio Tex tape can relieve pain and speed healing. Wearing an air cast ankle brace throughout the day—even while running—can speed recovery. These braces stabilize the ankle so the shin muscles don't have to work so hard to support your leg, Saxena says.

PREVENT A RELAPSE
    The easiest and best way to avoid shinsplints is to increase mileage gradually. Saxena also says to make sure you are in an appropriate shoe. Beginners, especially, can benefit from the professional help at a specialty running shop. If you have high arches, you may need a cushioned shoe. Or if you have flat feet, a rigid shoe might be the solution, he says.

ELITE TREATMENT
    Once or twice a month, miler David Torrence jumps in a game of pickup basketball or soccer. "The lateral movement uses your muscles differently than running in one direction," he says. "It's helped me manage my shinsplints."

Shin Signs: How to Proceed
    STOP!
    Tenderness down the leg, especially if you hop on it. If walking (not just running) hurts, it could be a fracture.
    WITH CAUTION
    Tight, aching pain when running, but the pain goes away when you stop. Hopping isn't painful.
    GO RUN!
    Completely pain-free while running—even long after you stop applying ice and taping your shins.

http://www.runnersworld.com/health/big-7-body-breakdowns?page=single