Ab/Core shaping

Options
What does everybody seem to find the most effective core stretches/exercises/lifts? What part of your core does it focus on?

Replies

• JayManPerkins
    Options
    For abs/core i normally find a decline bench or if one is not available i will find a floor mat instead and what i do is a take a medicine ball and hold it with both hands below my chin on my chest. One rep is actually four times down for my abs, i do one straight down and up sit up, then go down rotating the ball off of my chest and touching my right hip then returning to up position, one more down and up straight, and then one down rotating the ball off my chest to touching my left hip then returning back to up position. That is 1 rep and i normally do 15-20 reps for 3 sets using a 6-10lb med ball.
  • ToFatT0B3S1ck
    ToFatT0B3S1ck Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I haven't started any of that yet. I do cardio only at the moment. I have 23 pounds left that I want to lose (5 that I have to lose to be a normal weight). After that, I will begin toning and such.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    My fave is either bicycle crunches or it's hard to explain but I wrap a resistance band around the top of my feet so the bands come between my legs. I recline just to the the edge f my gluts and I do a double crunch like if you were on a bench while pulling the band to work my back as well. If that made any sense. It works my core, my arms, my back and my thighs.
  • SandySweats
    SandySweats Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I sneak in core focus items everywhere. I love the plank. Easy to do almost anywhere. When at the gym it is easy to do the Ab crunch and back extension machines. When on cardio machines if you let go of the handles and keep up your pace it helps your balance, and your core.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Of course I think anything in plank position is killer for your core as much as they kill me;)
  • terriejones
    terriejones Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Crunches of various types, sit-ups, leg raises, plank.
  • spinedocmfp
    spinedocmfp Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Cable crunches are my favorite, but I also do planks, weighted side bends and hanging leg raises.
  • hopperem
    hopperem Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Doing 30ds so get all sorts of crunches and push ups and plank poses. Also do yoga which helps (but more slowly!)
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    Most of my current core work comes from compound lifts (doing Strong Lifts 5x5), but I throw in some planks, leg raises, or scissor kicks here and there.
  • Brad_Hearne
    Brad_Hearne Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    My current core work consists of two set of renegade rows with the heaviest dumbells I can use for 5 reps each side. Then, three sets of ten standing ab rollouts. I'm thinking of adding some low range of motion crunches or reverse crunches in and possibly bringing back hanging knee/leg raises.

For what each exercise hits:

Renegade Rows - While this does hit the back nicely, to stabilize your body, your obliques must work pretty hard. This in turn has the effect of strengthening them and further defining them without making them grow in size so that your waistline stays down.

Ab Rollouts - Both the standing and kneeling version of this prove EXTREMELY effective at hitting and strengthening the abdominus rectus. The reason for this is that the highest point of stress on your entire ab wall comes when your body is fully stretched out so your abs have to work even harder to bring yourself back in.

Low Range of Motion Cruches - Traditional crunches can cuase back problems and over stress areas that can't handle it. By keeping the range of motion low, you don't have to worry about undue stress and can get great work by "squeezing up" with your abs for a short distance. This works the upper portion a little more than the lower so reverse crunches (same idea except with your knee/legs coming up) can even it out by working the lower portion.

Hanging Leg Raises - This can have the same benefit of stretch work that rollouts. It can hit the lower abs a little bit better than rollouts. However, form is essential for these as too much hip involvement kills the work that your abs get out of it.
  • Oh_Allie
    Oh_Allie Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Plank, plank and more plank. I'm also a really big fan of bicycle crunches.
  • sunraew
    sunraew Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    On The Ball: Crunches, Downward Press-ups, Hamstring Press, Seated Back Extensions, Side Crunches, Bent over Seated Row with Free weights ...
  • triplezoo
    Options
    Here is my Research Backed Ab Workout!

It consists of Top 3 the most effective ab exercises with a swiss ball. Targets your lower, upper and side abs. Basically every part of your abdominals.

Perfect for burning calories, developing abs, strengtening core and improving stability!

Check it out and let me know what you think:

http://absexperiment.com/most-effective-ab-exercises-with-swiss-ball/
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I find the 30 day shred a great way to get an overall full body workout with a lot of time spent on about work. You can watch the videos on YouTube.