Stuck in a yoga rut.

Options
Mlkmaid
Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
I've recently stopped going to my yoga studio after 10+ years because I feel I'm not learning anything new. Yes, I get a good stretch and I love my teacher but I haven't learned anything new in years. And it's expensive if I'm not getting my money's worth. I do not want to go into teacher training - that was never a goal. I simply get bored when I'm not challenged. Even in the more advanced classes at this studio it's really the same poses - just held for more breath cycles. What is the solution - try a new studio? Establish a home practice? Take private classes? Does anyone else experience this?

Replies

• sandeerah
    Options
    Could you try a different type of yoga perhaps? Or a different teacher. I do love my yoga teacher, but I find it nice for a change to go to a different teacher every now and again. Could you perhaps take your teacher one week, then a different teacher the week after?

All the best
    Sandra
  • lcyama
    lcyama Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    i've never been in a rut, per se, but after a while i was eager to venture out of my comfort zone. i (a) took classes from different teachers at my studio (including level 1 classes, which helped me revisit the basics), (b) joined another studio, allowing me to try different teachers and different styles of yoga (c) attempted to establish a home practice. i also enjoy doing yoga workshops or intensives. there are a couple of free/donation classes that i attend as well when they fit into my schedule.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with lcvrablik. Especially about the home practice and workshops. Try a nationally known teacher.

Your teacher should be attending workshops and trainings to keep things fresh. She/he should also be moving you out of your comfort zone from time to time - although, you may be the most advanced in the class.

What style of yoga do you do? What are you looking for? Is there a pose you want to learn? Can your teacher do that pose? Have you told your teacher that you want to work on ____? If you want to message me, I can usually find a place in your hometown that will challenge you.
  • Mlkmaid
    Mlkmaid Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your responses and great ideas! Namaste.
  • tavenne323
    tavenne323 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    There are a couple teachers at the studio I go to that I like. One in particular always throws a "crazy" pose into the class each week. It's nice because then I have something to practice at home. I hoping one of these times she'll show us one that I already know how to do!! Many of them are arm balances.
  • agdyl
    agdyl Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Sounds like time to check out some different styles of yoga.

And don't feel bad if you outgrow a certain teacher. I did teacher training about 2 years ago (just for personal growth, not for a career choice), and one of the things I found very interesting is that the studio owner who led the training said that she's found she CAN'T vary her classes much or her students who have been going to her for over a decade get upset - there are large groups of people who really just want routine. Personally - I'm with you - if I can do it all and it feels like I've got it dialed - I'm bored! I like Ashtanga and Anusara and Forrest yoga classes and things where we are always adding in "crazy" arm balances and transitions and things that are closer to the realm of things I may NEVER master than things that feel very easy. And then some of those same teachers - the ones getting me to work on unsupported handstands and the like are the ones who have taught me that Warrior 1 is one of the hardest poses out there, and I still work on fine tuning that every day too.

Look around and check out something new!
  • odonogc
    odonogc Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Well, y'all know how much I love Yoga Glo.

Would you consider using that? I was also in a rut with the DVD practices I was doing. Then I signed up with Yoga Glo, and I love it! I get to practice with really top notch instructors, and I can choose whatever level of difficulty, type of yoga, length of class I want.

The other thing that I think could help you is finding a new goal. Is there a pose you've always admired but never thought you could do? For me that is handstand! I'm not there yet, but I'm getting closer.
  • Seisa
    Seisa Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Mlkmaid!

I'm impressed that you've been doing yoga in the same place for ten years! I'm a lot flightier than that :-).
    What I'd do is go to a site that offers a lot of different styles and have a look around! That way you might get a hunch if you need a new teacher, style or a social change. My favorite site is www.downloadyogavideos.com, You get two weeks for free so there is no monetary risk involved. After that who knows where you'll end up! The sky IS the limit!! And as high up as you want it to be.
    Best of luck