regression vs. accountability

namilee03
namilee03 Posts: 3 Member
Life got really chaotic and busy when I got last-minute funding to do research in Boston last week. I took a week off from MFP and didn't track my food or exercise. There are amazing ethnic restaurants in Boston so I had my fill. Luckily I also had to walk everywhere so I didn't actually gain weight. Miraculously, I stayed the same.

But now that I'm back home, I'm eager to get back on track and stick to my workout schedules and daily caloric intake. I tend to be really hard on myself when I feel that I have "failed" in some way and that depression manifests itself in the form of unhealthy food choices and laziness. Deadly cycle!! I'm going to be 30 next year and I really want to make permanent lifestyle choices that will carry me to my grave (whenever that day comes).

Do you guys ever feel yourself slip back and regress? If so, how do you bounce back? Do you tend to share your goals with others or keep them private. I read an interesting study that said that people who share their goals are actually LESS likely to follow through with them. By telling someone, they actually feel as though they have done part of the work. That's the exact opposite of what I've always believed. When I tell people, I tend to follow through because I don't want to look like a failure. Any thoughts on that?

Respond or friend me if you want!

Have a great day y'all. :)

Replies

• timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    I have my good days and my bad days but what I always tell myself there is always tomorrow to get back on track and do not get worry about going over my intake as long as its not a continual thing.

I post mainly though this group not necessarily on other people's wall so if you have anything you need help with or want to ask about feel free to post a fourm on here... I am willing to help you keep track I just to see your diary's for both food and exercise so I can check on you and hold you accountable.
  • namilee03
    namilee03 Posts: 3 Member
    Thanks man. it's good to have people to push you along but also to keep you on track when you stray. Will check up on you as well.
  • timothydriver
    timothydriver Posts: 147 Member
    I saw your food and exercise diaries your doing great so far! I foresee no issues with you loosing weight. I would suggest higher impact cardio to loose weight faster I run 15.5 miles a week and I find that running helps a lot with wright loss for me personnaly. When I got here to my deployment location I was around 195 and now just under 3 months down at my last weigh in last week I've dropped 17 pounds already. Just a suggestion do what works best for you and your body type...
  • thehealthy86
    thehealthy86 Posts: 21 Member
    I just came out of my regression stage and I'm back on track. I wish I could STAY on track because then I'd finally be able to get under 190. That's not my final goal (obviously) but after I lost an initial 14lbs last year, I haven't been able to get under 190. I usually have an amazing week and celebrate with 2-3 horrible weeks. I'm trying to break the cycle!