Where is the very beginning??

Options
Hi, I am somewhat new to weight loss. I am 37 and I was always naturally thin, I had a fast metabolism and in fact so fast I had to have a total thyroidectomy 3 years ago due to hyperthyroidism. I went from the 118 lbs I had been since high school to my current 153 since....I feel so lost....I startedmy weight loss journey last year and lost a few pounds and was tracking food and lifting weights a few times a week and then lost motivation and got depressed and subsequently gave up and have gained 25 pounds in last 6 months now. I feel like I know nothing even though I have read so, so much about strength and weight loss since I started gaining weight, but I feel like I need to start waaaaay before most of the ladies here. Where is the VERY beginning, for total newbies who want to gain muscle and lose weight for good!??

Replies

• Pmagnanifit
    Pmagnanifit Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    I read nrolw but felt like I couldn't start it- so I did a circuit of weight machines at the gym and a major lift every time I went to the gym - after about seven months I felt I couldn't lift any heavier on the compound lifts and started nrolw. Good luck to you
  • wibutterflymagic
    wibutterflymagic Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    The beginning is where you begin. You just have to do it. No one starts out squating 100lbs. Start the program and test your strength. Start out low, if by the end of the listed reps you aren't exerting yourself then at a few more lbs next time. That's all there is to it. Your ideal weight is the amount that makes you work for the reps but you shouldn't be completely wiped by the end. You should get to the point of where you feel like you can only do 1 or 2 more(in good form). Don't go to the point of complete muscle exhaustion.
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, hire a trainer to walk you through the moves in the book (make it clear they're just showing you how to the moves in the book). Focus on FORM (watch videos and read articles on the internet). Then do the program (start with a weight you think you can handle and move up from there). Calculate your TDEE and eat at a 10-20% deficit (I like this calculator:http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/). You may not lose quickly, but you what you do lose will be mostly fat. I've lost 32lbs in a little over a year. No it's not a major success story, but I've enjoyed it and I can sustain what I'm doing for the rest of my life.
    Just get to the gym and lift!

ETA: I had barely touched the weight machines and had never even seen a barbell up close before I walked into the gym one day and started the NROL4W. Don't be intimidated- you CAN do it!