Are you in maintenance? I have a couple of questions...

Options
I was maintaining successfully for several months, but then my dr. adjusted my prescription down (from .125 to .100). Ever since, without any other change to my diet and exercise habits, I've been struggling. The weight started to go up, and I've tried to counteract it, first by simply reducing my calories, and when that didn't work, by reducing them further and adding in more exercise. It still doesn't seem to be working.

What I'd like to know from any of you that are successfully maintaining is how are you doing it? What is your current height and weight? How many calories are you consuming? What are your exercise habits? I know everyone is different, but I'd just like to get a feel of where this may stabilize for me.

For my own info, I'm 5'5" and was at 115, consuming ~1950 calories/day, exercising 6x/week (3 days strength and 3 days running intervals) prior to the med change. At this point, I'm now down to 1700 calories/day, still exercising 6 days/week but adding a second cardio interval session to each day. My weight is hovering between 117 and 118, can't seem to drop those 2-3 lbs without additional calorie reductions and/or more exercise.

Replies

• ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7, 145 pounds. I lost down from 163 by following a whole foods, plant-based diet. I don't eat dairy or gluten, and I drink a gallon of water per day. I also don't eat red meat, however we do eat certain types of fish, eggs, and fancy-pants hormonal free, etc etc chicken about once per week. I attend a boot camp class 4 X week that I would consider much like cross-fit, and do a run or longer hike on the weekends. I stay under 1500 calories per day Sunday-Thursday, and under 2500 Friday/Saturday. I only drink alcohol on Friday/Saturday. I do not eat back my exercise calories.

My endocrinologist told me that people who suffer from low thyroid issues have a lower BMR. I've found this to be true, personally. If I stay under 1500 calories Sunday-Thursday, and under 2500 Friday/Saturday, I have no issues maintaining my weight. The harsh reality is that people with low thyroid have to work harder than normal people. It's not fair, but it is what it is. Until I got serious about what I was putting into my body, I struggled immensely with my weight, despite a rigorous exercise program.

Good luck. I know it's hard. I totally empathize with you.
  • shellfly
    shellfly Posts: 186
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Ashley. I appreciate all of the information. Sounds like we are pretty close with regard to activity levels It gives me an idea of where I might end up, which I'm beginning to think is going to be around the 1500-1600 mark (but maybe lower if I reduce my amount of exercise). I hope I won't have to give up food groups though; I do love my dairy. We rarely eat red meat though, and I do try to drink a lot of water. Did you find that dairy was a problem with maintaining, or did you give it up for a different reason?
  • ashleyapplewhite
    ashleyapplewhite Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the response, Ashley. I appreciate all of the information. Sounds like we are pretty close with regard to activity levels It gives me an idea of where I might end up, which I'm beginning to think is going to be around the 1500-1600 mark (but maybe lower if I reduce my amount of exercise). I hope I won't have to give up food groups though; I do love my dairy. We rarely eat red meat though, and I do try to drink a lot of water. Did you find that dairy was a problem with maintaining, or did you give it up for a different reason?

I believe I've already had a mild lactose intolerance, but the main reason I gave it up was because of some research I'd done on the health ramifications related to dairy. It was a personal decision and I don't judge anyone else who consumes diary :) (Just don't want to get bashed here for suggesting that it's not healthy.) To each his own :)