An assessment of my workout plan please

Options
yogicarl
yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
I know I have asked around these questions before and have held some poor attitudes in the past around the use of weights and such, but I am tired of pratting around now and I'm ready to take myself and the advice I hope to get here a lot more seriously.

Bottom line is, I am putting in a whole load of effort but getting nowhere because I'm not sticking to a plan for long enough before I switch to the next thing that is "bound to work".

My goals are to work towards a high strength to weight ratio. Muscle growth is not so important as the strength to hold my body in the more advanced yoga positions and yes - I would like to be doing things like dragon flags, held positions in pullups and that sort of bodyweight stuff. Also to lose fat weight. so strong but light is my long term aim.

I propose the following weekly schedule:

Every day: a progressive 75min Yoga session; two of those are at a class where I receive alignment correction and have to match the pace of the class. The remainder of the week, I work at home at an intermediate level; similar to calisthenics I guess.

Monday: Pushing. Warm-up 3x10 push-ups, followed by Close-handed push-ups 3x6-8, working towards more intense and slower pushing movements as strength improves. Pike Pushups 3 x 6-8; working towards Handstand Presses.

Tuesday: Pulling. I really want to be doing pull-up here but I am just carrying too much weight for the good of my biceps tendons, which are really sore after negative Chin-ups. So I do Inverted bodyweight Rows 3 x 12 to warm up, followed by Chin-ups assisted by dropping a knee into a loop of bunjee cord so I can rep out around 6-8 for 3 sets. I finish with DB Bicep Curls 3x6-8.

Wednesday: Yoga class, 75 mins.

Thursday: Lunchtime swim 45 mins. then Legs session: Bodyweight Squats 3 x 20 to warm up for One-legged quats 3 x 6, working towards doing 3 x 6-8 Pistol Squats. I finish off with the Yoga "Chair Pose" which is a static thighs parallel, arms high and looking between hands pose.

Friday: as Monday

Saturday: Morning yoga class 75mins and later the same session as Tuesday. May get a sea or pool swim in this day.

Sunday: rest.

I would like to think that should be enough stimulation for strength increase and fat reduction through working strength.

I am not opposed to using weights, but am preferring to use bodyweight as it seems to be more in line with the yoga, bar and hand-balancing stuff I want to progress in.

Any positive criticism would be most appreciated.

Replies

• SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    This seems more of a specific question related to yoga since your goals are specifically to get stronger at yoga related positions.

Regarding fat loss, that's going to be ultimately dictated by energy balance. Make sure you get in adequate macronutrients and make sure your energy deficit (calories) are set appropriately. Read the below thread but ultimately if you've been tracking intake for a while, I'd rely on results and intake records and adjust as needed based on that.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819055-setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

Regarding the training specific questions, intuitively you should have some form of progression in your model so that once you can accomplish X number of reps, you are increasing the intensity (with freeweights this represents adding more weight to the barbell, for example).

I'd recommend looking into the following programs--- "You are your own gym" or "Convict Conditioning" as examples of body-weight programs.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Thank you SideSteel. It really helps to gain insight from someone looking in from the outside, rather than guessing I am on the right track. Much appreciated.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just to add to the recommendations, you may want to look at Body By You also. It is also by the same author as You are Your Own Gym, but may be a good choice for you as you already do body weight work with your yoga.
  • yogicarl
    Options
    Thank you Sara.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Note: the BBY book is marketed to women, but based on my understanding of the book, it is still appropriate for guys...just ignore the nutrition part (I usually tell people to ignore nutrition recommendations from those types of books anyway) and the 'blurb' about women. The progressive lifts are appropriate for both genders.

Convict conditioning is appealing for it's simplicity however.

Whichever one you pick, you will want to look at your programming to ensure that you fit the workouts in appropriately.