1911's

Options
AnaNotBanana
AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
Is anyone a fan of 1911's?? What are the pros/cons? Why the heck are they so expensive?

Replies

• digitalbill
    digitalbill Posts: 1,410 Member
    Options
    The 1911 is a good pistol.
    It has a design which is simple and proven to work. It is not the fanciest thing in the world but it simply works well.
    They are so expensive because of the reputation of the 1911.
    Really, if you took that same exact pistol and called it something else, it would not sell as well.
    The name drives the price up.

Pros: Lots of stopping power and a comfortable hold for the average man.
    Cons: Too much recoil can affect rapid firing accuracy and sometimes uncomfortable for smaller men and some women.

Verdict? If you are not concerned with the round hitting other things, the 1911 - .45 might be a good weapon. I am personally not a fan beacuse of the power and the possibility of a missed round passing thru several walls and hitting something/someone unintentionally.
    With that said, if you are looking for good stopping power and you are confident you will hit your target the first time, it is an excellent weapon for defense.
  • SumoH
    SumoH Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It is a lot like a classic vs a new car. Old school styling, mechanically more complicated than modern design. Modern designs are simpler and easier to manufacture. In the end both do the same...just how much you want to pay.
  • GetSoda
    GetSoda Posts: 1,267 Member
    Options
    1911s, expensive?

You can get a brand new Rock Island Armory 1911 for under $500.
    You can go nicer, and get a Springfield Loaded (the route I went) and have a laser-accurate feature packed target pistol for about $1000.
    You can spend many thousands on a custom jobbie.

The gun will determine the recoil. A full size 1911 with beavertail isn't that bad. My Springfield loaded has a firm handshake, but very little actual kick or muzzle flip. My .40 caliber XD Tactical actually has worse recoil.

On the other hand, I put a few through a 3.5" compact 1911, and it would bite hard. Full size is the way to go if that's a concern. Full size with a beaver tail.

For self defense... I read something great about .45:
    .45 is a round for lazy people. You know, people that only want to shoot once.

A standard 1911 has a huge market support.

While it is a great, reliable, classic design - There is one fault I find with the 1911:
    It really sucks to clean compared to other guns. Most anymore you can field strip with the flick of a wrist.
    The 1911 has a famous ballistic bushing and is a bit higher effort to tear down. No big.
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies...they were very helpful!! Personally I'm a big Glock fan. I wouldn't trade my Glock 19 for anything. My dad has been looking at 1911's and has been deterred by the cost. I'm not sure if he actually likes the gun or just likes the way it looks and how it can be easily customized.
  • mooseman71
    mooseman71 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I thought I'd chime in. One of the great things about the 1911 design is the trigger. Generally they'll have a trigger crisper than just about anything else in the safe. I like Glocks because they do everything decently but a nice 1911 is a joy to shoot.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I just really want one for the classy look and I have seen some custom grips that I would love to put on one.

That being said, I have not yet shot one. Dad and soon to be husband give me a hard time about wanting to carry one. Apparently they think the weight would be an inconvenience. I'm really not worried about it considering how much weight I carry in my purse already..
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I love them. Check out a Rock Island 1911. Best gun for the money you can buy IMO. You can get a GI for 379 or a tactical that already has a nice trigger and beavertail for a little more. I ended up with a GI but have added a Wilson Ultra light trigger, beavertail, hammer, extended slide release and a full length guide rod. And don't let taking them apart deter you, it really isn't hard after you see and exploded diagram and see someone else do it. I have had every single tiny little piece out of mine.
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    I love my 1911 in 9mm. Full size, steel framed stainless finish. Just looks good. I like the single stack mag too. Double stacks are just too thick in the hand. Being in Australia we can't have more than 10 rounds anyway so double stack is pointless.