not progressing/upping my weights for lower body

Options
jennadelane
jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
Hi I'm Jenna. I'm very close to finishing Stage 2, but I'm not progressing in weight for my squats and deadlifts. I haven't upped that weight since about 1/3 of the way through Stage 1. I've tried but its too much to go up by 10 pounds on the bar. All upper body exercises are progressing, just not really my lower body. Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    If you have access, smaller weights are ideal. Even if you only go up by 3 pounds, it's something. If you don't have access to smaller increments, you could try just doing more reps, or improve your form. Sometimes my form will be a little loose- like not going all the way into a squat or lunge- when I up the weight. You could also try the squats with your heels elevated. I've never done it, but supposedly it's harder.

Alternatively, you could go ahead and load up that extra 10 pounds, and just do fewer reps and increase as you're able.

Best of luck!
  • rick_po
    rick_po Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Great advice from stef. Another thing to try if that doesn't work: de-load. Reduce your weights by 20-30 pounds, spend a couple workouts concentrating on great form at the easier weight, and then start adding weight again. Sometimes your body just needs a little breather.
  • jennadelane
    jennadelane Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    De-loading is actually kind of how I got stuck where I am. I went down in weight to work on form and getting way down in my squats and that weight is now where I'm stuck at. I work with the squat rack and use the bar and plates so with those I'm really limited to 10 pounds at a time (smallest weights are 5 pounds). I suppose I can try goblet squats once I get past Stage 2 FSPP, though dumbells that heavy will be very difficult for me to hold on to. And then there's dead lifts...

I can try doing more reps also, though I get a little leary about getting off the prescribed NR plan. And I will definitely try the elevated heels in my squat. Thanks!
  • ebr250
    ebr250 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    If you have access, smaller weights are ideal. Even if you only go up by 3 pounds, it's something.

If your gym doesn't have small weights you can buy ankle weights and strap those around the end of the bar on the outside of the plates. I have done this in the past when a gym didn't have 2.5 lb plates and it works great!