Are you a penguin?

Options
likitisplit
likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
John Bingham said
“At age 43, when I decided to run again, I realized that the images used to describe runners didn't fit me. I wasn't a rabbit. I wasn't a gazelle or a cheetah or any of the other animals that run fast and free. But I wasn't a turtle or a snail either. I wasn't content anymore to move slowly through my life and hide in my shell when I was scared.

I was a round little man with a heavy heart but a hopeful spirit. I didn't really run, or even jog. I waddled. I was a Penguin. This was the image that fit. Emperor-proud, I stand tall to face the elements of my life. Yes, I am round. Yes, I am slow. Yes, I run as thought my legs are tied together at the knees. But I am running. And that is all that matters.”

From June to October, I thought of myself as a slug: slow, sticky, eating everything in my path. Now, I'd think of myself more like an elk. What animal are you?

Replies

• fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Pretty much a snail. My "run" is slower than many walks. My last run was 1 mile and took 13:32.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    LOL! Great question!

When I started running last year, I thought of myself as a snail because I was so, so slow. I hadn't thought about it then but I ran indoors only on a treadmill, which is sort of like hiding out, so the analogy fits even more.

Now, I run happily outdoors, not fast but at a decent, steady pace.
    I think I'm more like an elephant. Running along at a steady, loping pace, ears flapping with delight or determination (or both), enjoying the scenery around me.
  • verdemujer
    verdemujer Posts: 1,397 Member
    Options
    I think I'm more like an elephant. Running along at a steady, loping pace, ears flapping with delight or determination (or both), enjoying the scenery around me.

I love that image! An elephant! Well - I'm not a snail but I'm not a gazelle either. My husband calls himself a clydesdale when riding his bike. I'm not feeling that magestic. And I'm not a penguin though having my knees tied together seems apt. I really struggle with widening the length of my pace. I like small short steps thank you very much. I stop too much now but I wouldn't mind being like a working husky, trotting along steady as you go, eating up the miles. That would be the goal. So what am I now? What is it that runs and starts and blows like a bellows after a bit? I can't imagine any critter that is like that except me.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    What a great topic!

I guess when I started I was probably an urangatang - I sort of lopped along but didn't have any particular grace and definitely looked like I'd be happier if I was propelling myself in a means other than running. Plus my knuckles were always pretty close to the ground, especially near the end.

Now .... probably a donkey or maybe a cow ..... I'm not best designed for running but if need be I can trot along though I'll never be a thoroughbred racer and occasionally I need either a carrot or a stick to keep me at it.

One day I'd like to be a small dog chasing a burger van.
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    Now .... probably a donkey or maybe a cow ..... I'm not best designed for running but if need be I can trot along though I'll never be a thoroughbred racer and occasionally I need either a carrot or a stick to keep me at it.

I love this image! :laugh: I can especially relate to needing a carrot or a stick to keep me at it. :drinker:
  • Lyerin
    Lyerin Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Love this topic!

I was thinking about this the other day while I was running and was thinking I was like a gazelle but not the fast ones, more like the old, sick ones that the lions end up eating. LOL

When I run I feel like a lovely sleek racehorse, zipping along and loving the freedom of the run. I imagine that I look a bit more like a Shetland pony, choppy, uneven gait and unable to reach great speeds. LOL
  • zorbaru
    zorbaru Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    my mates used to call me a chook cos when i ran i looked like a chicken with its head cut off.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Love this topic!

I was thinking about this the other day while I was running and was thinking I was like a gazelle but not the fast ones, more like the old, sick ones that the lions end up eating. LOL

When I run I feel like a lovely sleek racehorse, zipping along and loving the freedom of the run. I imagine that I look a bit more like a Shetland pony, choppy, uneven gait and unable to reach great speeds. LOL

You probably look like everybody else out there. It's amazing how graceful running looks when it's not your feet.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I was thinking about this as I was running last night. I, too, think that I can best be described as a old slow donkey or maybe pony. Clop Clop Cloping along as the others on the trail streak by me.