I'm Confused On What To Do Now

Options
On suggestion of caloriecount.com, I began eating 3000 calories (up from 1000 calories a day), but then I found this group that says to eat my TDEE (which is 2000 calories a day). I'm 5'0, 100-110 pounds (up from 95) and my stomach is unpleasantly plump now, the fat is back on my limbs, and I'm uncomfortable. I also have no period because of undereating.

What do I do now? Do I lower my calories to 2000 or do I keep eating at 3000 (I was told that if I keep fluctuating my intake, the bloating would continue longer).

Replies

• donewithmyself
    Options
    bump!!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Do you understand the why's of the advice, with either recommendation?

If you don't understand the principle and why a certain recommendation was made, then you won't understand when you need to make changes.

Do you know what TDEE means?

What was the request of caloriecount.com that it gave that suggestion?

Do you know why this group says to eat at TDEE?

Ya gotta do some work if you want to be successful, not only now, but when you reach maintenance and don't want to regain your weight as so many do.
  • donewithmyself
    Options
    I was told that my body needed the calories to repair vital organs and to insulate them with fat.
    http://caloriecount.about.com/forums/health-support/recovery-confusion-1
    This was the thread, and she literally has the exact same stats as me: 5'0, 95 pounds before raising calorie intake, period loss, so I figured that was the same advice that would be given to me. I also ate the same amount of calories throughout my VLCD.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    They are entering puberty, you are past if really 18, of course if you have been doing VLCD since starting puberty, you've also pushed it off because body can't make the needed changes without enough energy. Fat is required for many of the hormonal changes, fat on the body and in the diet.

You should really see a Dr.

Because a huge increase in calories in one jump is mighty stressful on the body too, and that hormone cortisol will pile the fat in the belly, along with the body wanting to store fat reserves in case the craziness of under-eating continues.
    3000 calories from eating so little probably means you are literally eating 1500 calories over maintenance right now, so 3 lbs weekly gain, and unless doing strength training, it's fat. Some useful of course, much not.

Plus you need to learn to eat better and plan with good foods. Still figure 20% of calories can be fun and unhealthy if it doesn't make you binge. Like if you can plan a scoop of ice cream every evening, will you binge and eat the whole container in one night? If you will, then skip that idea, not for you. But keep 80% good.

If eating more than TDEE is recommended for repair of body in that manner, and I can believe it, then I'd suggest the following.

Starting eating at BMR right now for 1 week.
    Figure out where the calories will go for meals, and what the meals will be.
    Then each week, add another 100 calories to you daily goal.
    So 2nd week is daily goal BMR+100.
    3rd week is BMR+200.

That way you have a week to tweak where that extra 100 calories can go, with decent foods, not just piling in BigMacs.
    Keep working your way up to estimated TDEE.
    Not sure how many weeks that will take, but that allows hormones that are jacked up right now to slowly recovery.
    It'll help you mentally deal with it, because fast water weight gain should be done now.

But I'd strongly suggest Dr, since you are past entering puberty and amount of growth for body is going to be slower anyway if really 18, your recommendation may not be that high at all.